really simple dvd burning question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

My dvd drive is 16X DVD+/-RW Drive. I want to save some of my things to dvd. I see dvd's at the store as -RW and +RW. Which one do I need?

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Either one since you have a DVD+ or - RW drive. I personally prefer +RW disc but for no particular reason. As a side note, I'm just discovering the joys of using a pen/thumb drive. I bought an 8 gig pen drive yesterday and I like it. A lot better than a DVD+RW disc. Very handy for saving data and taking it with me when I need to work on either my Dad's, brother, or sister's computer.

Later...

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Do you need longterm storage? If you do get the regular (write once only type) , the rewritables (RW) are not recommended for long term storage. Make sure you get the verbatims 16X(+) or any of the sony's 16X (+ or -).

The brand you choose makes a big difference as far as quality. Even though your recorder is rated at 16 speed, most experts who do alot of burning don't burn faster than 8 speed.

See the below link for more information so you don't end up buying the wrong brand of blank dvd's.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'm using -R, personally. Seems to be working well.
    And yes, burn at half the max. speed at most, helps reduce the no. of errors.
    Mrk

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Memorex suggests that DVD+RW is better than DVD-RW for data backup, so thats what I chose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.