Real Time Protection Question

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ron_c, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

Ealier this week, I installed Windows Defender just to try. Just as soon as Windows Defender was installed there was a popup alert from Spyware Doctor stating something to the effect "can't have two programs running at the same time with Real Time Protection, do I want to disable Windows Defender" or something similar to this.

I have NOD32 v3.0, Spyware Doctor v6.0 and Spybot Search & Destroy v1.6 all with Real Time Protection "On" but have never received any kind of alert like the one above. I was wondering, are there maybe a hidden conflict between the programs I know nothing about or is everything ok.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello ron_c,

Having multiple AVs will cause conflicts and in many cases cause major conflicts with your machine. Only use one AV product for Real-time protection and disable the others. The other AV products can be used for manual "On-demand" scans.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

I wasn't clear on my post. I have only one AV, NOD32, I should have said Spyware Doctor is Antispyware only. I was just wondering about any conflicts with all 3 programs having Real Time Protection turned "On" at the same time. Everything seems to be ok.

4. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

It doesn't mater what "anti" they are. They all do the same thing. Constantly scan files in access by other programs. They will delay access to a file from a certain program until the scan is done, essentially, they will all fight to scan files.

5. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

I understand now and will only have NOD32 as the only Real Time Protection. Thanks a bunch for clearing up this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.