Real time Monitor

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by WilliamP, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Windows XP Home, NOD 32 Ver2 ,AdawarePlus with Ad Watch and was wondering if I would have a problem with the TDS-3 real time scanner . I tried BOClean 411 and my system locks up.

2. WilliamP

Does TDS-3 have a real time monito running all the time?

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi William.

No TDS-3 doesn't have a real time monitor.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

the resident-scanning part of TDS-3. is called Execution Protection . I found that to have that up an running you need to start up TDS3 with yourstart up and that can in some cases take a while to run through its many processes . It can take a while depending on what you have checked for the start up scanning . ( you may wish to exhaust all possibilities with Bo clean b4 you try TDS william ). Or check out whether nod is the problem ( which is some thing you may not have considered, by making nod an back up scanner and use your other anti virus , kav as your real time monitor , there by possibly not needing a AT . just a thought .

5. WilliamP

I tried 4 times to get Boclean to work. It kept locking up my computer. I don't why. I know most people like it and I would have also if it worked ok on my system.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

O well, Tds 3 is said to be the best so you wont go wrong with that . Good luck :cool:

7. WilliamP

My friend SPC you give me a lot of trouble. Helpfully of course. I decided to not go with TDS because it doesn't scan real time. I may as well just monitor with NOD and do weekly scans with Kaspersky. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

William,

IMHO the most sensible thing to do is contacting PSC using private email - it's a BOClean issue after all; not a TDS3 issue ;)

regards,

paul

9. WilliamP

Paul I did E Mail BOClean and I have been given a refund. I didn't want it . I wanted BOClean to work.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

William,

I'm sure you want it to work! Fact remains, it's a PSC/BOClean issue: they should provide a solution for a client. Can we agree upon the fact, this isn't a TDS3 concern? ;)

regards.

paul

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

With all due respect:

TDS-3 DOES have a real time scanner:
    Execution Protection.

But, as Paul wrote, if you are having troubles with BOClean: please contact PSC !!!

12. WilliamP

Paul I have no no problem with BOClean except on my computer. I know it is highly recommended and respected program. I only posted here to try to figure out if I may have the same conflict with TDS-3

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Many people use BOClean plus TDS together, no problem, or TDS plus NOD32, no problem, or Ad-Watch plus TDS used a lot and no problems either and combinations of those with TDS and on several different windows versions.
    Has it always been a problem or did it start with the new BOclean version 4.11 to name an example? Or the new NOD32 v2? Or other new versions/upgrades, updating and patching windows -- if that last one does you beter warn everybody!

I would recommend though to please start your TDS after reboot manually and you can have everything from the startup scans checked.
    Or in your startup configuration give some delay to TDS and you should be fine.

What makes you think it's BOClean and not NOD32 combination for instance? Should not either but it could as NOD32 has some issues caused BOClean to make some changes in their software.
    Have not heard from others using BOClean plus TDS with the new version there would be any problems.

Don't worry too much in case BOClean would be the culpit on your system indeed and the above would not help, with the coming new items of the TDS family.

Keep us informed how it goes please!

14. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

Could someone clarify what is meant by"Realtime monitor"? The executive protection feature of TDS-3 certainly appears to meet the criteria for one.

If I am correct, it needs to be manually loaded only once. I thought it was subsequently loaded with every boot up-so its function is really almost "invisible" to the user and it causes no perceptible system delay in the system at all. I have never perceived any kind of interaction with any other application.

I would appreciate hearing if I am wrong here because this is certainly the way I have been using executive protection. I could easily be in error but my assumption was that the Executive Protection feature remained "active" unless it was "uninstalled" via the XP uninstall facility in the Control Panel.

If I am correct, then the EP ferature is probably the most inconspicious and easily used component of any program I know .

Regards,

Bdiamond

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

You can for example read more about Execution Protection here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871

It works only if:
    1- you have enabled it: in TDS:
    TDS > Execution Protection > Install (see that thread);
    2- TDS-3 has been started.

You will see in the console of TDS the following line:
    16:10:58 [Init] • Exec Protection : OK. Installed

16. WilliamP

Jooske, in answer to your question I had NOD on my system when I got BOClean 4.10 and didn't have a problem. Some programs would hang or slow down if AMON was enabled. So I would disable AMON when I knew I was going to have a problem. When I updated to 4.11 every thing would lock up. If I closed BOClean everything was back to the way it was. Nod may be the problem , I just don't know.Now I'm trying TDS-3 but because it is a trial I can't get the Execution Protection installed.

17. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I think it's NOD that's the culprit. I had Boclean and Amon running together and the computer would freeze. Uninstalled Amon as resident scanner and went back to Kaspersky with Boclean with no problems. I can only use Nod as an on demand scanner.

18. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi william....

Cannot help with BOClean, but just want to clarify with TDS.

FanJ is absolutely correct.. It does have a RTM although not called that exactly.

1: Execution Protection [only with Registered Versions, when installed via Menu Bar/TDS/Execution Protection>Install,] constantly monitors any executable you may start. Hence the wording "Execution Protection". This of course only applies when TDS is started. You can minimise to System Tray, without having it sitting in Task Bar.

2: Trojans are "executables" and therefore, subject to scanning when they are started, where upon TDS will check it and if necessary block it. Want a good test, simply download Steve Gibson's 'Leak Test' Utility which checks your firewalls. Unless you have TDS off, it is blocked, but it does give an alert even though it is benign, but by the very nature of this Leak Test, it acts like a trojan.

3: Not only does TDS scan EACH & EVERY executable you start [even Notepad, etc.] it also monitors your memory, and a heap of other places.

4: You do not have to have it set to start at Windows Start-Up [I don't], as someone noticed it can be quite a delay if Process Memory Space Scan is enabled on startup of TDS with Windows Startup. Simply start TDS manually after rebooting. It saves a lot of time and also can eliminate hangs especially if you have your AV and Firewall starting up. [See Configuration Pic of my preferences]

5: TDS does not need to have anything else done to it apart from checking for daily updates [except on weekends and public holidays in Australia] and Execution Protected once you select "Install" stays on as long as TDS is running.

I just wanted to clarify along with FanJ as some people may be under the misconception that it does not have RTM action... As a matter of fact, it was the ONLY one to have that feature for a long time.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

19. WilliamP

Thank you for the info. Right now I have the trial version and can't update. Would it be better to uninstall then download the registered ver. or go in thru the control panel to activate?

20. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The trial version has the updater disabled but you can get the latest updated radius file here: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/radius.td3
    place the downloaded file in your main TDS directory, you will be prompted to overwrite the existing file .

Pilli

21. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Just put the registration keyfile in the TDS directory and reload TDS.
    Dolf

22. WilliamP

Thank you my friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.