Reading Error in Secure Zone ONLY

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Richards1, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richards1

Richards1 Registered Member

I have installed ATI-12 in Secure Zone, which I can access via OS-Selector. When doing so, I immediately get the following error-message from ATI.

"Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"

Clicking on Cancel or Ignore just repeats the error message. I have to quit the program and can not use ATI in this environment.

I do NOT have this behaviour, when starting ATI "normally" in Windows (XP/SP3 German) or via the Acronis Boot-CD.

I am using ATI 12-9709 (German). I use 2 drives, operating in Intel-Matrix-Raid (ICHR7), Raid-0 for the OS, Raid-1 for the Programs and Data. The Secure-Zone is placed on the "end" of the Raid-1 area.

Here is a short overview:

Speed IFace Hs-Bs-Tg Model
    Num NT L9NO Size FSsize Free FS Type Label ABCHSV
    ---- ----- ---- ----- ----- ----- ------ --------------- ----------- ------
    1- d(0) 40G 19M RAID 0-2-0 Intel Raid 0 Volume 1.0.
    -1 p(1) --CC 25G 25G 13G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS SYSTEM..... A-C--V
    -2 table 05 Extended ------
    -5 p(2) --DD 4G 4G 32M NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS SWAP....... --C--V
    -6 p(3) --EE 11G 11G 4G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS TEMP....... --C--V
    2- d(1) 278G 13M RAID 0-2-1 Intel Raid 1 Volume 1.0.
    7.8M free ------
    -2 table 05 Extended A-----
    -5 p(1) --FF 20G 20G 14G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS APPS....... --C--V
    -6 p(2) --GG 85G 85G 30G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS TOYS....... --C--V
    -7 p(3) --HH 25G 25G 12G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS DATA-APPS.. --C--V
    -8 p(4) --II 85G 85G 51G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS DATA-MEDIA. --C--V
    -9 p(5) --JJ 30G 30G 5.3G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS LEXIKA..... --C--V
    -10 p(6) --KK 33G 33G 4.2G NTFS 07 NTFS, HPFS ARCHIV..... --C--V
    -11 p(7) ---- 39M 39M 5.8M FAT32 BC Acronis Secu ACRONIS SZ --C--V
    Disk 1 properties:
    BIOS number: 0x80
    Geometry: 5222 255 63
    Total sectors: 83886080
    Disk 2 properties:
    BIOS number: 0x81
    Geometry: 36302 255 63
    Total sectors: 583188480

Many Thanks in advance for all suggestions to overcome this problem.

Richards1

2. Richards1

To sort out some error-possibilities I performed the following tasks:

I did a chkdsk x: /F /R on ALL partitions, everything OK here.

I deleted Secure Zone completely, rebooted and created a new one. The old problem "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0" remained.

So once again Thanks in advance for some support on this.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I do not understand how you have configured TI. You say you have installed it in the secure zone. Normally the secure zone can be used to store backup images not the Acronis program whch would be installed like any other application.

Running CHKDSK while a secure zone exists will not check the volume occupied by the secure zone . You should use the TI wizard to remove the SZ and allocate the space to one of the normal partitions before running CHKDSK. This is because a secure zone is a hidden partition that cannot be seen by that Windows process.

Xpilot

4. Richards1

Hallo Xpilot !

First of all, Thanks for your answer. Please let me explain, as I think that I mixed up some expressions.

1) ATI in Secure Zone (==> Startup Recovery Manager):

Of course I use ATI 99% of the time in Win XP the "normal way", no problem here. But, to be save in case of disaster, I also installed the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, which I think is located in the Secure Zone. The error (Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0) only appears when this Startup Recovery Manager has started and is running. So when I wrote about "ATI in Secure Zone", I meant the above Recovery Manager.

2)Chkdsk:

This is clear to me, I did so, but absolutely no problems here. All partitions are OK. And, most important, my Backup-Images are NOT stored in the Secure Zone (which has a minimum size of only 50 MB), but on an own partition. I only use the Secure Zone as the "home" of the Startup Recovery Manager, not for the images.

So I just want to know, why the Recovery Manager produces an error message, that neither ATI in Win/XP nor ATI on Boot-CD do. And mostly I would like to know, how to fix the Recovery Manager.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Richards1

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thanks for your explanation. I now understand what you are trying to do.

To activate the Start Up Recovery Manager a secure zone is needed. When activated the ASRM modifies the MBR and as a result the "press F11 button" should pop as at an early stage in the boot process to enable booting into the Acronis recovery environment.

At this point I cannot help further because I have never activated the ASRM. Instead in the case of any recovery either as routine or a real emergency I boot from the recovery CD. This always works even though the original hard drive has been replaced with a new hard drive. In such a circumstance the ASRM would be of no value.

Xpilot

6. Richards1

Thanks once again for your kind reply.

Of course you are right - The recovery-CD is the second best way to deal with in case of a non-booting OS or similar problems. I created one and it works perfectly. (The first best way in my oppinion is the integration of ATI in a Bart-PE-CD, but this is another story :))

But still remains the outlined error when the ASRM is running, where I would like to find a solution. As much as I understand, both (ASRM and recovery-CD) start the same Linux-system as their underlying OS. But while ATI in the recovery CD works without errors, ASRM immediately shows the reading-error-message.

So maybee someone of the Acronis-stuff knows an answer, it would be much appreciated from my side.

Richards1

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Richards1, the cause can be in OS Selector and Startup Recovery Manager activated simultaneously. What happens if you deactivate OS Selector?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. Richards1

Hello Alexander Nikolsky !

As requested I deactivated OS Selector and then booted into ASMR via "Press F11 ...".

Sorry to report, but nothing has changed, I still get the well known error "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0". So deactivating of OS Selector did not cure the problem.

Thanks in advance for any further assistance.

Richards1

9. Richards1

Hello Alexander Nikolsky !

An answer from you would be very much appreciated. B.t.w. I updated to latest version 9769, which did not change anything.

So Thx in advance for your suggestions.

Greetings

Richards1

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Richards1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

It appears that MBR is protected, and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager fails to overwrite it. Xpilot has mentioned, that in this case the better way is to use Acronis Booting Rescue Media for the disaster recovery.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.