RE: WinMHR: (Re)Introducing the Malware Hash Registry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by m00nbl00d, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?&t=279983

Out of curiosity I went to the website and noticed that a new version came out; don't know when. Probably not a very recent release, as I don't see any blogs mentioning any recent releases, though. But, the hashes differ from the ones pointed at this post:

Anyway, more than a year ago (by now), I had contacted them, and never really got any answer. lol

I'm wondering if they forgot about that tool's purpose? I remember reading that its purpose was to be a tool people from poor countries could use.

Have they decided not to maintain it? o_O

Anyway, just wondering.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does it finally include removal?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

When opening the UI, it still says that it only detects. They also didn't resize the UI; part of it still opens beyond the screen resolution.

Most likely, it's abandonware, otherwise a new version would have come out already? This "new" version probably came out early this year? :doubt:

If they changed a bit its way working, including removal, it could probably be a tool many folks could use to assist them in finding and remove malware.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I have had contact with them quite some time ago. They were planning a Chrome version also, but those plans seems to have disappeared in the fridge

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Still in Beta...:(

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I did a small test by using WinMHR to scan 4 malware samples that I recently got from MDL. WinMHR detected all 4 as malware. :thumb:

I also did a full scan of a virtual machine. There were 0 false positives.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

WinMHR seems to work fine as a standalone program if you copy the folder that the installer creates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.