re: DiskCryptor question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by fallsoffmotorcycle, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallsoffmotorcycle

fallsoffmotorcycle Registered Member

Hi,
    I lost a p/w on a 2 1/2 inch eide drive encrypted with DiskCryptor The data is browsing-related and loss is not an issue. I would like to [preferably] wipe with DBAN [and/or] reformat the drive as it is nearly new. I only encrypted this one as it was in a laptop.

By the way, I have DiskCryptor on 3 running drives and it is fast and very useful to me. I really like it.

I cannot seem to use either approach to salvage the drive as it cannot be read by FDISK or DBAN.

Any idea how to proceed to reuse the drive and reload XPpro or Win7, or am I a hung goose?
    Thanks,
    fallsoff

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

While I have not used DiskCryptor, (I have used TrueCrypt), I would think that the fact you can't see the drive in FDisk as a wholly unrelated issue.

Based on what your saying, your system can't see the physical drive, the fact that its encrypted is unrelated. Verify that the physical drive is being seen by both BIOS and the operating system. If it is, then treat it as a brand new never touched disk that has not even been partitioned.

Also, try a different program. If your on Windows, what does Disk Manager say about the drive? Does it even appear as a drive? If in Linux, is it mapped under /dev/? (sda/ sdb/ hda/ hdb/ etc)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.