Re-Arrange Context Menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by screamer, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

@ Rasheed: hope you don't have low level disc access as allow by default

@ Lusher: What app are you referring to?

...screamer

2. screamer

Well I was able to accomplish what I was intending to do w/ a few simple reg edits. That was to group all my scanners together. Since I did this in my test SnapShot, I just hope I can duplicate it in my Primary SnapShot.

...screamer

Attached Files:

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That is exactly what I wanted to do. Could you post them or a link that outlines them? Thanks in advance.

4. screamer

Thunder, depending on what you want your end results to be, you'll need to determine if this is 100% successful. This is the ContextMenuHandler for Files, not Folders

Go to the ContextMenuHandlers folder and export it. Rename the .reg ext to .txt

Open it in a txt editor and make a copy of this file, just to be on the safe side. I named my copy: ContextMenuHandler_O.txt

You'll notice that the heiarchy is alphabetical

Depending on where you want these listings, prefix it w/ a letter or word.
    ex. I used Scanner_

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Scanner_AVG Anti-Spyware]
    @="{8934FCEF-F5B8-468f-951F-78A921CD3920}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Scanner_NOD32 Context Menu Shell Extension]
    @="{B089FE88-FB52-11D3-BDF1-0050DA34150D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Scanner_SUPERAntiSpyware Context Menu]
    @="{CA8ACAFA-5FBB-467B-B348-90DD488DE003}"

Rename it back to ContextMenuHandlers.reg and save it somewhere.

Back in regedit, delete the ContextMenuhandler folder tree and import your revised copy.

If there is a file in the way (separating them) I had WinRar, just open it in regedit and add a - before the Value Data {CA8AFE...This will hide WinRar on Files, but not Folders.

hth,

...screamer

Attached Files:

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Million pieces of codes, but the ones most obvious are left to the users to figure out. :doubt:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

@ Screamer. Many thanks. :thumb: Did a copy and paste for further modification at a later date. Probably quit a bit later as I have been on a ton of overtime. Need a very clear head :blink: to play with this. Add to the fact that I am on XP64....may get a bit dicey due to a slightly different reg. structure. :cautious:

7. screamer

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That sort of luck couldn't have been any better screamer

This app is just what the doctored ordered, really nice find. Thanks for opening the topic in the first place and for this COOL find. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  9. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Nice find, i have just downloaded it and will give it a try. :thumb:

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What I meant was that I don´t get any alert about MMM free. Also, I have noticed that SSM (latest) doesn´t like MMM at all, strange because with an older version I don´t have any problems. And sadly, I still have the "sub-menus closing when opening on the left side of the root-menu" problem on my real machine, but not on my virtual machine, how the heck is this possible? :blink:

And I knew about FileMenu Tools, tested it a while back, but couldn´t really figure out how to use it, at least, I´m not sure if you can easily hide/remove entries like with MMM.

11. screamer

When I un-installed MMM+ I had several "leftover" occurrences also: like the branding on the left side of the context menu. First I deleted all traces of MMM+ in SSM and then did a quick reg clean w/ jv 16. Also deleted leftover folder in Program Files. All was well after that.

Hiding entries is no big deal (either manually or automatically) just add ? or - in front of the value data of the item you want hidden. In FileMenu Tools just un-check [] the box in front of the feature you want hidden. This tool doesn't remove, it just hides items.

It appears tricky when you want to group items. You need to create new item and a sub-item and define parameters from there. In this case I found the manual registry hack I tried to be quicker.

...screamer

Attached Files:

12. screamer

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

14. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

This discussion has been a very interesting. I like using a variety of utility tools when it comes to computer functions--which is why I recommended MMM free in post #4 above. I have not tried any of the other programs mentioned here but did install FileMenuTools as a result of this discussion.

I like MMM free for its ability to not display options which you want easily accessible but not displayed. I have not tried the paid version.

FileMenuTools has one feature which has both advantages and disadvantage--depending upon how it is intended to be used. Good that the user can create a menu which will show on all Context Menus--but not so good since the user is unable restrict the menu to certain file type. At least this has been my limited experience with this program, so far.

I like the Windows option of being able to modify the options displayed under the Control Panel / Folders options/File types listing. Here you can edit an individual file type and make additions or changes to what is displayed in Right Click Context Menus. Most of the options you see below were added using this file type edit. More can be added or removed.

Shown below is a few samples of how I have combined all the preceding options into displaying what I want in my Right Click Context Menus.

My only reason for showing these is that many do not like or feel comfortable with registry hacks. This was done without registry hacks--although I am not adverse to such procedures. It's nice to be able to eaily implement a matter of personal preferences.

Attached Files:

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw, I contacted MMM´S developer, and asked him why he doesn´t offer the + version as shareware, I think it´s a bit strange that he refuses to do this, I mean what if it doesn´t work on your system? And has anyone tried MMM+? I really wonder if it works correctly. :rolleyes:

16. screamer

@ GroverH: "FileMenuTools has one feature which has both advantages and disadvantage--depending upon how it is intended to be used"

It seems that any context menu app I've tried recently has this issue. Personally, I hope to discover an app that allows total re-arrangement (including show/hide and inclusion of sub-menus) of all file/folder/drive properties.

The quest continues!!!

@Rasheed:

I D/L'd and installed Mmm+. It worked to some extent. What I didn't like and un-installed due to "allow low-level disc access" to too many apps.

To be honest, I don't remember the advantages of MMM+ over MMM except that it worked on file/folder types instead of just the desktop.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.