Raxco FD support

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by evansgo, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have enough copies to get me well for 10 years,only puzzling about activation in the future after they drop support ?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Now there is one that I have never heard of. How long has Eaz-Fix been around? Does it function like FirstDefense or more like Rollback, or a different creature all together? Thanks.

Acadia

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I realitistically tend to agree with Blue, and while it upsets me there are a couple of things to consder. Probably the only place I might disagree would be the support issue. I think the main reason most of us have need to get support was when stuff broke.

First we don't know what Leapfrog is up to. There website does portend things to come.

Second we really don't know what was behind HDS's decision for sure. I've purchased and struggle with Rollback as a product, but I've also had several at length conversations with it's developer Andrew, and honestly, I have nothing but the highest regard for him.

Also it hadn't occured to me but is the server version still available.

Fortunately as long as we have XP, and potentially vista, the current incarnations of FDISR should keep us going.

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

just a quick slight off-topic, but related to this, does anyone know how much longer XP will officially be sold? I've never tried fd with Vista, primarily since I have no desire to try Vista.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just a rebranded RollBackRx.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ahhh, I see, thank you.

Acadia

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Nope, I'm not dreaming, because this scenario is also possible : suppose Leapfrog has already a new software in mind, much better than FDISR and other ISR-softwares. After all Leapfrog created an unique piece of software without any competition. Leapfrog can do it again. So any further development of FDISR would be a waste of time and selling it to HDS would be a smarter solution and making a last financial profit of it. Even helping HDS with removing FDISR's main functions would make the difference between FDISR and Leapfrog's new software only bigger.
    Leapfrog didn't disappear and was even looking for a new programmer and users can wait many years to replace FDISR and also other software companies aren't sleeping. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Erik: Good Point!

I can't call Leapfrog a sellout just yet. It just may turn into a terrific business move on their part. We just need to hope that their business acumen is on par w/ their technology development.

I myself, have several copies of FD-ISR & Bootback. And since I have zero desire to up-grade to Vista, I feel OK about that. I'll just keep on re-installing, moving to new machines if need be...

But the question posted by Tradetime: how much longer XP will officially be sold? Really does concern me.
    I know that several computer manufacturers previously only installing Vista recently changed their policy and started offering XP again, due to Vista un-popularity. I guess we'll just have to wait-n-see.

...screamer

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Eric! I will call it a deam anyway unless substantiated with some real evidence.

BTW I myself do dearm alot.:rolleyes:

10. ErikAlbert

Tradetime is right on long term. One day you will have to give up on FDISR, you can count on that, but it can take many years before you have to do this.
    WinXP won't last forever either and hopefully the old FDISR will be still compatible with winVISTA. If there are still compatibility problems with FDISR, HDS won't fix them, except for FDISR Rescue maybe. There have been quite a few problems with FDISR and winVISTA, so I don't depend on it. :)

11. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

So fellas, it sounds like I better get off my duff and buy my copy of the current version of FDISR even though the fires here in San Diego got in the way of my actually trialling it on my system...

12. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Just a quick reply to my own query and for anyone else wondering.
    XP shelf-life

13. ErikAlbert

According HDS's website, the full FDISR Workstation is still available, but member "Chris" already received a version of FDISR from HDS without the freeze functions.
    So pay attention to what you get from HDS, when you buy it.

In the future, the full FDISR Workstation will be terminated and replaced with "FDISR Rescue", which won't have any archives anymore, just ONE snapshot.

Chris's story is quite amusing.
    The freeze function of Rollback Rx v8.1 doesn't work properly.
    So he asks HDS for FDISR to replace RBRx temporarily until its freeze function is fixed and FDISR has also a freeze function.
    HDS gives him a FDISR without the freeze function and that was exactly the function, he really needed.

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1105500&postcount=21
    @Blue
    Sorry,I have to disagree with the general thrust of your comment.
    HDS's snapshot product which they push strongly and claim tremendous success for is hardly a model of "simplicity" :cautious:

I can assure you that I am a very humble senior citizen enduser of software and the learning curve for me with FDISR was very short: heh: easier than Windows. !!
    If "we" are expensive: fine; factor that in : cost per call, annual fee whatever..

I would put it to you that FDISR is simplicity incarnate compared to the hoops we may jump through for 'granular' control of FW, HIPS, AV etc etc etc that take up much of the forum

If a restricted set of options = simplicity then maybe have the single snapshot FDISR as "Home" or "Basic" or some such and then offer a "Pro" version with full feature set.
    Massive disappointment I'd say

Hhmm; some feeble minded fool has left a post at HDS FDISR Forum begging for a reprieve...no reply for a couple of days...

There is afaict NO other tool that will do what FDISR does: that alone would seem to be a good reason to keep it alive.
    Regards

15. Peter2150

I may go join that fool.

16. Longboard

@Pete: LOL
    @E-A
    Hope springs eternal..:)

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I wasn't talking about HDS's RollbackRx. I explicitly mentioned the proposed FD-ISR Rescue, and my comments presuppose that they do, in fact, achieve simplicity.

Simplicity means many things, but it always starts with a limited feature set that encompasses the key functional attributes. Some of the features being lamented in this thread complicate usage of the product. I understand that achieving simplicity requires one to tradeoff overall power, but less power (and complexity) is not always a bad thing.

Blue

18. Peter2150

Except BLue, like in my case, losing Archiving for simplicity, reduces it's functionality to me by 90%.

If it were'nt for one thing I'd really be mad. That one thing, is not wanting Vista, I did a considerable hardware upgrade, and basically I am good to go with hardware, and XP for 3-4 years. That is time to have things develop.

Pete

19. Longboard

@Blue: Got ya.:)
    A single "recover" option is already a feature of dozens of tools and it ain't always easy.
    In principle: agree entirely :)
    That's where we differ: I see FDISR as an absolutely remarkable 'interface' and "management" tool to simplify incredibly complex proceedures.

Of course there will be a learning curve : you had to learn everything. :D
    Reading
    Writing
    'rithmetic
    Life ;)
    FDISR imo actually enhances simplification -with optional bonuses- and actually works !!

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Let's hope all of that idea quote above translates at some stage into reality because it would surely prove out as a most logical and business-wise decision in light of whats taken place so far.

And with that i withhold any more comment or remarks untill or if we do see some signs of an entirely "New" production from Leapfrog. (fingers-crossed)

21. ErikAlbert

Indeed. If the majority of users can't handle FDISR, it doesn't mean that HDS has to terminate it, because there is no alternative for FDISR and that's why HDS can't kill it.
    Not many ISR-softwares offer multiple snapshots, only two : one reliable (FDISR) and one with always problems (RollbackRx).

The rest of ISR-softwares have only one snapshot so to speak and simply restore the system partition during reboot without any other possibilities. They have only 3 advantages that are immediately visible for the average user : speed, less space and boot-to-restore, all the rest requires too much thinking. :)

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FD-ISR in full-blossom is any PC users dream-come-true. Aside from a VMware\V-box, what other app is there where you can set up 10 individually different systems, all in completely bootable states, as well as make duplicate archives of them where you can either revert back to the previous state or even update the archive to keep it in a parallel level with the system snapshot your currently working from?

Short of authentic/genuine imaging apps like SP or whatever your flavor of them, your system can be totally trashed and it only takes a wipe off, format NTFS, and Install XP CD into reinstall FD-ISR, then revert those off-site alternate saved archives back to snapshot and everything is returned again like new.

The FREEZE snapshot is a HUGE coverage against potential mischief originating either from the system itself or whether due to a malformed software or even malware. A steady clean state is returned after a reboot.

The advantages and benefits of these and other features don't just accommadate the geek or more informed viewer but also even a complete Novice can better protect themselves from who else? Themselves :cool:

FD-ISR uncut and unedited editions is the best work of art in any software thats ever been conceived then fashioned IMHO

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.