RansomOff

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by co22, Mar 28, 2017.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks on this new release. Will be making comparisons as time permits on this end.

Keep up the great efforts & developments!

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:argh:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

got an error on the link.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

https://www.ransomoff.com/#

This link works as.....
    RansomOff Client
    Version 5.2019.320.5459
    Released 16 Nov 2019

5. guest

guest Guest

If you mean the links above, these links are outdated. Newer links are available from the regular downloads page.

Edit: @EASTER was a little bit faster than me ;)

6. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just a heads up, when I clicked on the link above and the the downlaod button for the Windows 64 bit version, Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension in Chrome blocked the link as suspicious. I assume the link is good and htis is a false positive from Malwarebytes and thanks.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Got it.
    Thanks guys

8. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

And now I see: RansomOff will be back at some point...

9. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

We have "de-listed" RansomOff for the time being while we re-evaluate our strategy with it. As some of you obviously have noticed, there has not been a lot of activity in the past year. That's because we have not been able to dedicate the necessary resources given other priorities and that's not the type of solution we want available. We feel that it's not fair for the users even as a free program. RansomOff has probably also gotten too complex for average users and the increasing number of emails and phone calls asking for support made us decide that until we can fully dedicate resources it is best to take it down. We hope to get RansomOff back at some point but we first need to figure out the best way forward.

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks Dave. Hope it is not 'lost'.

I would like to suggest / request again that the folder protection component be isolated, preferably as a separate product from the main program to provide its current capabilities, similar to Excubits' Pumpernickel (FIDES) with a GUI (to protect image and file backups only, in my use case) - and better than the now abandoned Secure Folders (because it has folder per program protection). There isn't really a worthy competitor in the market.

I would definitely be prepared to pay for that!

I know one can activate just that component in the main program, but it leaves quite a large number of unactivated anti-ransomware components, with it's concommitant (installed) size.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  11. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Hi Paul. So, we have taken your suggestion and are getting a stand alone version of the folder protections ready. We are calling it Folderfication (bit of a play on words) but you can read more about it here (https://www.folderfication.com). It's not quite ready yet because we added crypto capabilities that require some more internal testing but hope to have it available for beta testers in the near future.

12. paulderdash

Dave, good to hear from you, and this is excellent news! The folder protection component in RansomOff worked well.

The crypto side is probably less important to me, but I may well try it.

Really looking forward to checking out Folderfication when it's ready for testing.

Would also be great if you could start a new thread here on Wilders when it's ready?

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. This newest development just wetted my whistle and looks like age old "Secure Folders" app that's stood the test of time on these systems is about to get a retirement plan.

Thanks Dave.

Regards EASTER

14. paulderdash

I think it's nearly ready, and for me will replace Secure Folders or Pumpernickel in future.

Secure Folders, because it has process per folder/file control, not just one or the other.
    Pumpernickel, because it has a GUI.

And more.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

SF is been an iron cage for my Windows 8.1 systems and have tried it on 10 with equal success.

However @HeiDef's detachment of Ransomoff's Folder File Guard sports a variety of other methods, each somewhat distinctive from the next (such as trick/deceive) setting which when beta testing it threw a monkey wrench into some formidable ransomwares. In effect rendering the sequence of expected events inert-or totally useless. :D

So as a separate folder/file guard i'm looking forward to it's release with some glee.

The only release showing today is system requirement Windows 7

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  16. paulderdash

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My bad (I guess)

The release requirement description shows Windows 7+ which one can assume includes all series of the O/S including and after Windows 7 systems. :cool:

Came in a little late to this release so anything is possible.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have an off-the-cuff suggestion which may (when or if R0 development returns again)

Seems by going over this thread and posts of various problems or issues where was created a lot of extra work for the developer/team. Additional new additions were shall we say, such as the addition of HIPS? crammed the RansomOff program and introduced burdens on both sides of the picture. Both the end user and dev team became maybe laden with too much effort in trying to reproduce then repair issues of the newer introduced features, specifically HIPS and maybe to a lesser extent the AntiEXE modules? Im far from qualified to accurately disseminate exactly what slowed down the once effective progress but I suspect the extra feature(s) (again specifically the HIPS and perhaps Anti-EXE modules) toward the tail end before interest dropped off and subsided as complaints of new issues cropped up. Even Dave in his epitaph of sorts in announcing the abrupt discontinuation even alluded to such. Support requests overwhelmed what was a free program and that is unacceptable in a business who's clients are industry professional customers of paid endpoint security products.

Which brings me to end with this. If by chance time and interest affords the return to Ransomoffs development, instead of demise, I suggest a lite trimmer scaled down approach with a sleek GUI sporting the same of the earlier formidable features that returned the absolute best results at the start and onward before adding HIPS and such. The award winning IMHO rollback feature after a landing, then attack attempt where some files indeed encrypted but were systematically in instant fashion recovered/rollback before a users very eyes in real time. Ransomoff dispensed the dispersals the ransomware(s) was able to spread but not for long.

And clean up of the leftovers was another popular benefit. Maybe I see it differently then most, but at a certain stage Ransomoff was COMPLETE enough by virtue of stopping any and most all dead in their tracks. In short, I feel extra features later added were a honest attempt to improve it but not really at the expense of introducing the additional issues and calls for support which ensued quickly thereafter as well as some's dissatisfaction that R0 had unnecessarily became BLOATED.

Its not my intent to nit pick or speculate but to leave it up to those members here who tested and tried R0 over the course of its development progress, as it picked up support and positive steam only to somewhere along the series lose interest. All security software makers are primary tasked with fashioning a reasonably quality product and successfully tuning it to it's best possible end release results. But also sometimes especially with the urgency of PC security in some specialty protection apps such as dedicated ransomware products, its understood priorities can be overwhelming to a point where situations place unrealistic demands on both sides of the equation.

19. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I couldn't find ransom off on Heidef website. Even tried waybavkmachine but no joy.

Any source for the last version?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.