RansomOff

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by co22, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I think it's cool as well as generous the developer made a decision to turn what was initially intended to address ransomware proper into nearly an all-in-one prevention machine!

The way I see it is that the only thing that cause a disruption in it's intended purpose(s) is good ole micro itself throwing yet another monkey wrench into how these security programs can perform to their maximum. Happens every time unfortunately but some developers are able to pierce through even that and reposition their software to retain rock solid protection against the baddies.

3. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Going back to what I said about the ShieldFS, solutions based on a training set of data will have trouble with new techniques. They do really well against threats that exhibit what they trained against but generally don't do well with things that haven't been seen before. The other issue with behavioral approaches is that there are many ways for malware to accomplish an end state. For this particular solution, they don't mention the features they are looking at or how or what level they monitor for them, but malware is always evolving and the solutions effective feature set today may not be tomorrow.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

If it's a buy-out hope the money is good, but the support remains the same. :D:doubt::cautious:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Here, here too :thumb:

6. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Unfortunately not quite that exciting.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's all good.

Funny and odd how ransomware attacks (at least on a massive scale) have tapered off to a trickle lately.

There are some sharp pencils in the Helig Defense box apparently. I never assaulted a series of my machines with such confidence when applying Ransom0ff to ward them away.

In fact i'm rather intrigued at how formidable it met a lot of challenges on this end.

8. paulderdash

:D

Dave - is 'HIPS-Lite' an enhancement of the current 'Policy enforcement'?

9. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Kind of. Policy Enforcement, as an option, has been removed but the things that PE covered has been rolled under HIPS-Lite. Some other existing settings, such as top-most detection and startup change detection will also be moved under the HIPS control. It was a little disjointed before and with the addition of some new detections it made more sense to create the HIPS-Lite category and bring all these similar settings together.

10. paulderdash

Mainly used WinPatrol for this, so that one is probably no longer required.

11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Actually I would like to see expansion in AutoStart detection. All of the Startup managers that have alerts that I am familiar with look for registry changes in the same old tired places (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). So if something gets plopped in there, no issue- we have an alert.

Now a more elegant way to create a reg entry that will also result in Autostarting whatever but will avoid detection by the typical autostart app would be instead to create something in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Just about the only startup app that will detect such an entry (manually and even then only kinda-sorta if the entry was parsed) is the original Autoruns; oddly enough all of the Autorun knockoffs I've tried do not.

Anyway, just a thought.

12. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Hey M. Actually funny you mention this. We did expand the start up detection a bit for the upcoming release. While still not as comprehensive as Autoruns, we added some logic that should cover most everything regardless of where it's written. Currently, RO does look at HKLM and HKCU Run\RunOnce along with Services under HKLM as well as a few other esoteric spots. It also does file system start up detection by looking for Start Menu and scheduled task changes. But with the new 'Executable (scripts too!) Drop' detection, there should be pretty good coverage against new start up objects.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Holy Cow. Just looked at the Ransomoff 4 documentation. You guys have been busy beavers. Going to have to start playing.

14. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Really need to get the thread title changed...

15. Peter2150

What do you want to change it too. I'll see what I can do

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Get crackin Pete :D

17. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Just 'RansomOff' would be great.

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Done :thumb:

19. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Thanks a lot!

20. paulderdash

Pete, I think I know your general view on some anti-ransomware ('You're already infected.'). But you may like RO for the Folder Protection alone, let alone all the other 'stuff'. ;)

I think Dave and HD have developed quite formidable multi-faceted protection here, and it can only get better. Great support too.

Really looking forward to trying the latest version (with new UI), which is due shortly, maybe wait for that?

21. imuade

imuade Registered Member

@HeiDef
    Is it possible to have a summary of all the feature included in this SW?
    When it goes stable, do you plan to have a free version too or only a paid one?

22. Peter2150

@paulderdash I already have folder protection, Pumpernickel

@imuade Unless I am mistaken it already is free.

My plan is to wait for the new version, and then it the VM running and give this puppy a go.

23. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Ah, OK, so I'd better ask: will it stay free even when it goes stable? :)

24. paulderdash

Yes I know, I use that also. But just saying the RO solution is elegant, more granular than Secure Folders for example.

25. Peter2150

Well when I see the new release I will give it a go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.