RansomFree by Cybereason

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blackcat, Dec 19, 2016.

1. aztony

aztony Registered Member

RansomOff and RansomFree are (2) different programs.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Sorry !!! My Bad :eek::mad::gack: Deleted the post. :blink:

3. guest

guest Guest

Cybereason RansomFree v2.4.1.0 Released (08 October 2017)
    no changelog available

Download

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

"The most impressive result came from an application that I mercilessly mocked in the past, that being RansomFree."

That's from a link to a CS post in a thread about RansomOff. Happy? I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve.

7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

That she previously didn't rate RansomFree, now she does.

8. Rasheed187

I'm trying to say that it was a bit confusing, but now it's a lot more clear. But you know what the thing is, none of these tools offer 100% protection anyways. Later she mentions that RansomFree failed to protect against a variant of NotPetya.

9. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I'm so glad you are happy. I thought Meghan spelled it out very well (as usual) in her post and there was no need for me to duplicate, assuming one bothered to click and read.

10. paulderdash

11. Rasheed187

The point is that some might not even have clicked on that link, because you wouldn't be the first to confuse RansomFree with RansomOff, that's why I made my comment. I hope you're happy with my explanation, geez. :rolleyes:

No, it was about RansomFree. But I decided to go with AppCheck, it performs quite well without honeypots. Also, it's still not clear if RansomFree is capable of protection multiple drives, I don't believe CS has tested this.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This:
    Pure honey without the hives, lol.

13. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Rasheed- It's actually not really needed to test a secondary drive. What I normally do instead is monitor a directory on the C drive outside of Program Directory. If encryption occurs there it will occur also on secondary drives.

14. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

People that have an interest in security software I assume are quite bright. Others may not, evidently. Let's agree to disagree.

15. paulderdash

If you re-read the post: https://malwaretips.com/threads/ransomoff-first-look-at-new-user-interface.75873/page-2#post-684272,
    actually it was AppCheck, not RansomFree: 'I question efficacy of AC due to the NP result'. o_O
    but that is fixed now: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appcheck-by-checkmal.391353/page-16#post-2716052 (and preceding).

16. Rasheed187

Didn't know about that one. Isn't it possible to simulate a secondary drive on a virtual machine, just to be sure? I was also thinking, do you think it's possible to combine RansomFree and AppCheck, or will this cause problems? Perhaps you can test this. Almost forget to ask, would be cool if you tested Protected Folders on Win 10. I have this feeling it will fail against ransomware that's using process hollowing.

It's not about being smart, it's about being clear. But yes, let's agree to disagree.

I don't think it's a bad concept, but if others can protect the system without honeypot, I prefer to use them because it also costs disk-space.

17. cruelsister

Rasheed- It's quite easy to add a secondary drive to a VM, and I've done so on occasion. But I am glad you brought this up as it seems many have a misconception about secondary drives and how ransomware can effect them.

Consider this- let's say you have 3 drives (a primary and 2 secondaries) and you can't remember where you stored a certain Doc file. You can do a search for that particular file that will include all of the drives. If it is on your system the search will find it. Ransomware more or less will operate in the same way- it will search your system not for a particular file but instead for certain extensions; and once found it will encrypt them. So if you see ransomware trashing stuff that resides on the Desktop you can be assured that it will also encrypt things in other non-protected directories and on other non-protected drives.

The above is why I have an issue with applications that say they will protect your documents if found in the Users folder on C drive; Big Whoop! I have stuff spread over multiple drives that I also want protected. Will that mechanism also protect them? Not at all- optimum would be something that will detect and stop the malware immediately on run- and this will be independent of things like Cloud Definitions and specific Folder protections.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

All of my VM's have two drives so I can give them an honest test. Totally agree with you CS. Just protecting a document folder or the c: drive alone is worthless

19. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I guess I am one of the not so bright ones, but this discussion has lost me. I thought I was reading a thread about Ransomfree, but with all the confustion with the interactions about Ransomoff, AppCheck, etc. I am not getting much info about Ransomfree.

20. cruelsister

Lordy- this topic WAS about RansomFree, wasn't it? So John- it's not about you... it's about me (I love that line; used early and often...).

To clarify things, trust me that the applications RansomOff, AppCheck, and RanStop are the top of the line when it comes to stand alone anti-ransomware applications. AppCheck and Ranstop are Paid but with mature Backup modalities. RansomOff is Free and has utility beyond ransomware.

Regarding RansomFree- they have improved dramatically but preliminary work on the newest version questions whether it achieves the optimal protection afforded by the previously mentioned three.

21. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Thank you for the info, cruelsister!

22. guest

guest Guest

I think i'll answer in this thread :)
    With the release of 2.3.0.0 they have added protection against "MBR-based" ransomware.
    But i assume that this doesn't mean that it is protecting the MBR now?

23. cruelsister

I guess we'll have to see this weekend...

24. Rasheed187

The thing is, I believe some member reported that early versions of RansomFree were able to successfully protect the system drive, but failed to protect the other drives. So apparently this IS possible. And what about my idea to combine RansomFree with AppCheck? Good idea or not?

25. guest

guest Guest

Cybereason RansomFree v2.4.2.0 Released (Digital Timestamp of the installer: December 17, 2017)
    no changelog available

Download

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.