Ram usage in MB, (lower is better)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Affer, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Affer

Affer Guest

Lowest AntiVirus that eat's Ram is:

1: AVG-AntiVirus.
    2: F-Prot.
    3: AntiVir.
    4: Nod32.
    5: eTrust-AntiVirus.

The best one's is AVG-Antivirus and F-Prot,
    Couldn't test more such:
    Cheers"

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

A bit more info about your test would be appreciated.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to do your comparison. I would also appreciate a bit more info on your configuration....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70629
    Love to try AVG on that test system and see how it goes there...:D:D

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What a tradeoff. Lower MB & lower protection. No thanks. I'll stick to NOD32. On my box it's 17-19.5MB. Course I'll try KAV6 when final.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yet put them on the same exact system (one at a time of course), and AVG will feel a heck of a lot slower than NOD32 or eTrust....overall sluggishness of the system, responsiveness of the system, and painfully long scan times.

6. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Why is this in the NOD32 forum??

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The lowest resource usage on my pc by E-trust vet is usually zero_Only kicks in when I do an on demand scan.Which I might add hasn't picked up a byte.

Get clean and mean ,stay clean and mean by using sandbox (virtulisation) type programs!

Minimal resources compared to siggy based security,no updating and much more secure,especially for zero day attacks!LOL:)

8. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

What about Dr. Web, has the lowest RAM usage of them all...

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I couldn't care less about ram usage, but I do care about cpu usage.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. I wouldn't hesitate a second to choose for the best protection, regardless the use of RAM.

11. Thatsextreme

Thatsextreme Guest

Well that's kind of extreme whether we are talking RAM , CPU usage or whatever.

If the difference in effectiveness is say 0.000001% , but the 'best' makes your computer slow to a crawl that it takes say 20 minutes to even open a browser, I don't think most people will choose the 'best'.

12. NOD32 user

Fortunately the best in the case of AV software is also one of the very fastest, and it's protection is many percent higher than most of it's peers :)

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Haven't posted in here for a while... But you know whenever someone talks about program resources i just cant help but jump in :D

A long time ago i posted something about measuring AV or general program resources. But i could no longer find it. So here is the short version again.

1. Memory usuage is not everything. What happen if it only uses 1 Mb of Ram and 100% of your CPU?

2. Virtual Memory, Working Set, both can be mesaured correctly with Process Explorer. While Task Manager seems to misused the word "Memory usage"

And Finally AV usually uses many process. And i can 100% assure you AVG IS NOT the lowest memory usage AV.

Phew........Hope i dont have to post all these again for a while.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Probably the best system protector will also eats up more RAM coz this was really needed to make its function to be more effective. As for Anti-Virus, for me it doesn't really matter even if it eats ups lots of RAM as long as it is one of the best and didn't slow down my system. I'll just remove or replace some of my programs that eats up lots of RAM. :)

It also depends on the Operating System you're using, the Anti-Spywares and other real-time monitoring systems that always runs on our pc. We have to make the best blending of this sort of things to have the very best balance that we can possibly make in order to use our pc more effectively. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  15. NOD32 user

It does seem to follow logically that to offer better protection, more resources would be required,
    but it definately doesn't need to be the case out of necessity.
    :)

16. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Dr.web and Virus Chaser also eat less RAM

17. kavuser

kavuser Guest

Do you mean KAV ? :)

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

like a few people mentioned, there are difference between memory and cpu usage. for example KAV may not use a lot of memory but it will eat at ur CPU as mentioned in their help file. of course, KAV also has high detection rates so its all up to the user whats more important.

19. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    One would tend to think that based on logic...however in my real world experience, there is the variable of "efficiency"...how well as antivirus program is coded, which has shown me that you can indeed have a top notch antivirus program, without making your PC crawl like a Celeron 400 struggling to run WinXP on only 256 megs.

Example, NOD32...top rated, one of the lightest out there. KAV...while in the past known for bogging down system a bit, latest version is a bit lighter. On the other end of the scale, some of the more common brands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.