RAM help needed, please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here are the services

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

second shot

Attached Files:

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ser.screenshot#3

Attached Files:

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

and heres the last...

Attached Files:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the manufacturer is Soltek

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just found this in everest, does it mean anything? :-

Display
    Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (32 MB)

well, i need to be up at 10 o'clock and its 6:33 :(

if anyone has any ideas over-night please post them :)

thanks, every one for your help.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Often Dell’s are not as upgradeable as a white box PC, they often come with priority components designed specifically for Dell.

Not at all, I mean that you ought to have them install your new RAM on their premises as you can see instantly any compatibility issues.

Cheers :D

9. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Yep you're S3 Graphics is taking away 32MB from your system's RAM and using it for graphics texture storage because it's integrated into your motherboard. Solution: buy a seperate video card and/or computer RAM. BTW your pagefile should be set to 1.5x to 2x your system's RAM for optimal performance.

erikguy

PS: If your computer is running a 2.4 GHz Celeron you probably need to buy a stick of PC2100 DDR. At least 256MB but preferably more.

PSS: If you post your results from the Belarc Advisor I'd be able to tell you for sure what you need.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

MAKE SURE you XXXXXXX out your Windows XP Key.

Cheers :D

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My computer can support up to a maximum amount of 1GB of RAM. I just need to call up my computer manufacturer and they'll send a technician down to my house to upgrade my RAM. Quite expensive though, the RAM upgrade costs around $500.
    If i have 1GB of RAM, my computer will be super already.
    Currently I've got 256MB of RAM, but my Intel Extreme Graphics (64MB) is integrated onto my motherboard and it takes away 8MB from my 256megs of ram. So I've actually got 248MB of RAM in this case. This is why I wanna upgrade to the maximum amount of ram my computer can hold.
    The best way to upgrade your ram is to call your computer manufacturer to do it for you. If your computer is still under warranty and you attempt to upgrade the RAM on your own, you'll be voiding the warranty. My computer has a 5-year warranty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  12. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I'd change the following items to MANUAL startup mode (under administrative tools/services):

Alerter
    Application layer gateway
    Bitdefender Scan server (not sure if you need to run this item in AUTO mode)
    Cryptographic Services
    DCOM server process
    DiamondCS Usermode (Not sure if you need to run this item in AUTO mode)
    Ewido security suite (Not sure if you need to run this item in AUTO mode)
    Help and support
    Network location awareness (may want to DISABLE this item)
    IPSEC Services
    Windows Firewall (Disable, you already have KERIO)
    Windows image acquisition (disable)
    Windows user mode
    Automatic update (disable)

Also post a display of your MSCONFIG's Startup tab. Finally, go to start programs\startup and list items included in this menu. The office tool bar is another notorious RAM hogger.

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Adding more RAM is cheaper than going with an add-on graphic card. I would also let windows AUTO manage the pagefile. Avoid cheap RAM.

Select the appropriate Soltek product with this link. You will need the model number of this PC. Looks like a 256MB module will cost you $41. Just make sure the new RAM is the same speed as your current RAM module. DO NOT BUY CHEAP RAM at the local PC store!

You don't need to add 512MB with that entry level PC. The crucial website has step-by-step procedures for installing RAM...http://www.crucial.com/install/dimm.asp

http://www.crucial.com/store/listProductLine.asp?cat=RAM&mfr=Soltek&submit=Go

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for going through all those services for me Nod, it really is a great help. im going through them now.

sorry, soltek is the manufacturer of my motherboard, is that what you wanted?. the PC is made by, Albacomp. Belarc says *system model* VIA Technologies, Inc. then gives a no.

i want to post my Belarc computer profile, but i cant find where it shows my windows product key, the only thing i can find which i dont want to show is - Network Card MAC Address. can someone post a belarc report to show what shouldnt be shown on it?

theres a big computer store just up the road from me, and id like to be able to go in there and say * this is what i need... do you have it?* that way i wont have to listen and maybe take advice from someone who might know less then me :eek: plus, they can fit it for me.

im trying the Crucial System Scanner now, with IE and its in the trusted zone, but its been scanning for a few minutes and nothing has happened yet.
    i'll try again in a while. im going to re-read the thread, if ive missed something, let me know :)

bigc talked about sdram and ddrram which do i have?

15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If Crucial does not detect the required RAM module, then you will need to bring the PC to the store for matching. When they open the PC case, ask them to show you the RAM slots. If you see a PAIR of RAM modules, then you have DDRAM (quite rare with low-end PCs). Don't think they will charge you any $ to identify the type of RAM in your PC. You can install the RAM if you use the Crucial link. Just be careful so as not to dislodge anything inside the PC.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive just changed the services, when i next go to WU i'll need to re-enable automatic updates? and IPSEC Services looks abit scarey, i just wanted to check that its OK to set to manual? thanks[​IMG]
    i'll reboot now and post a sreenshot of task manager, normally when i reboot the numbers are quite respectible, so they shouldnt be too bad at all now :cool:

17. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

I read this in the PG help file:

"What is pgaccount.exe and dcsuserprot.exe?

These 2 applications are installed by ProcessGuard. You will see one pgaccount.exe for every active account on your system. For instance if you logged in as administrator, then fast user switched to another account, there will be two pgaccount.exe running. Both (dcsuserprot.exe and pgaccount.exe) of these applications need to be running for ProcessGuard to work to it's full extent."

I would let DiamondCS Usermode... run automatically. What version of PG are you running?

Nick

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, nick. i should have said that those were the two things that i didnt change because nod wasnt sure, and i felt they probably needed to run.

is that what i should ask for? - a stick of PC2100 DDR, it sounds like its for the graphics card. what would you ask for if you were going into the shop to buy either 128MB or 256MB of RAM? do i need to give more infomation? hardware is still something very new to me.

i still havent had a chance to re-read the thread, so i'll do it now

heres task manager after a reboot...

Attached Files:

19. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

No problem with those items. You can manually run update by launching IE and go to Tools.... No need to change to AUTO update.

20. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I have to disagree with you. RAM is very very easy to install. A ten year old could do it, with the right instructions. There are two main things you have to worry about when installing RAM. ESD (Elltrostatic Discharge) & where to hold the RAM chip. Right after you open the case, place your hands on the PSU(Power Supply Unit), or anything else metal. Leave them there for 20 seconds or so. This will help to draw out any eletricity from your body.

As far as where to hold the RAM chip? Just don't hold it or touch the golden pins on the bottom. The oil from your skin will ruin them.

Lastly, you need to look at the notches. If its SDRAM, there will be two notches, one sort of in the middle, and one towards the far end. Before placing it in the machine, check to see where the notches are on the RAM slot on your motherboard. If its DDR, there will only be one notch, pretty much in the middle.

As far as the shared RAM goes, I do recommend getting an off the board video card. By doing this, the video card will have its own ram, (either 32mb, 64, 128...) and will not use any of your system RAM, that is the best.

For a machine running windows XP its best that you be at 512 MB of RAM. If you can't afford that, make sure that you have at least 256 MB of RAM.

Also, use EVEREST to make sure you buy the correct speed of ram. If your motherboard supports DUAL channel, you will need to install the RAM in pairs (tech, you don't HAVE to, but to take advatage of the speed boast its required to be in pairs). By pairs, I mean, if you want 256 MB of RAM, you need to install two 128 MB of RAM chips. If you want 512, then two 256. If you have a dual channel MB, then most likely you will have 4 slots for RAM. So if you want 1 gig of RAM, its best to do four sticks of 256. It will probably be cheaper.

Good Luck.

P.S. Crucial, and MacDonald have lifetime warranties on their RAM. Its a good deal.

21. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I would bring the PC to the store and have them match the right RAM module for you. You have a clone PC. PC2100 is a type of memory. All will be crystal clear once they open up your PC and check the RAM slot.

Any progress with the Crucial RAM matching?

Much improved memory load after a reboot! Unfortunately, you're already out of physical memory now. Therefore, windows will rely heavily on the PAGEFILE to run applications. Translation...slow performance. I would DEFINITELY allow windows to AUTO manage the virtual memory. Don't set a min and max limits.

Post a display of your MSCONFIG's Startup tab.

Go to start programs\startup and list those items included in this menu. The office tool bar is another notorious RAM hogger. It will auto load itself in the startup if you have office in this PC.

22. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

97MB of peak commit charge already reflects the RAM load from windows, other applications running in the background, and On-Board-Video. If you added 256MB of physical RAM to this PC, then you will have about 250MB of physical memory to run other applications. This is MORE than adequate for CD/DVD ripping, office tasks, web browsing, or light gaming.

There is no need for more RAM unless you're crunching numbers or playing graphic-intensive games. I also don't believe that you have an AGP slot to handle a more powerful AGP video card. Therefore, you will need to settle for a PCI graphic card if you have a spare PCI slot on the motherboard. The video card will cost you at least $40 but it will only save you between 30 and 120MB of physical RAM. You can add another 256MB RAM module for the same price.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

heres the startups, i'll disable startupmonitor as i have tea-timer, and L-clock doesnt start because it hooks the system and i now let PG block it, i'll uncheck it for now.
    the other two startups which you cant see are PG and SG

so really i should just take in my computer and let them sort it out? i just dont trust alot of experts, the other day just to check that the problems i was having were hardware related, i posted a HJT log, and i ended up having to tell this *expert* that the activex which trendmicro lets install wasnt spyware!

i'll retry Crucial now

how do i let windows auto manage VM? by selecting system managed size, and deselecting custom?

Attached Files:

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

25. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

It depends on what you already have inside the PC. If that IS your motherboard, then you can use paired DDR RAMs. Two CT3264Z335 to add 512MB, OR two CT1664Z265 to add 256MB. Note that the old memory inside your PC MAY not get along with the new RAM.

carpserv.exe...Associated with Zoltrix modems - enables the internal modem speaker, allowing you to listen to the dial-up sounds for example. No need to enable this (uncheck item).

StartupMonitor.exe...Mike Lin's StartupMonitor, throws up an alert and asks your permission every time any change is made to your start-up configuration, either in the registry or start menu. Uncheck this item.

VTPreset.exe...Savage Pro S3 graphics software. Uncheck this item.

jusched.exe...Checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel. Uncheck this item.

ccleaner...uncheck this item. Run crap cleaner manually.

lclock...uncheck. Run Lclock manually.

Did you posted the lower 1/2 of the startup screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.