Raid0 Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Zeke77, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeke77

Zeke77 Registered Member

Hi,

I have been using TI8 and 9 for backing up my single drives with no problems at all. However, I just set up a machine using Raid0 and have a few questions. Can I create a TIB image file as normal and break the file up saving it across CD's? What is the best size to go onto a CD? What is involved in the restore? Is it really much different than a single drive restore? Thank you!

GJ :)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Zeke77,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can. When Acronis True Image is running under Windows, it works with all the hard disk drivers detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then it provides support for all hardware RAID controllers.

When you create an image, Acronis True Image allows you to split that image into specified parts. We recommend you to split your image into 650 MB or 700 MB parts.

Acronis True Image detects a RAID array as a single hard drive so there is no problem when you create the image.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

Speaking as one who was just there(RAID0).... Acronis (TI 8 and 9) works smoothly in this regard with only the slighest exception when TI encounters an unexplained problem reading an image from an external USB hard drive - the very same external hard drive it had successfully restored from so many times before. This rare glitch isn't really related to the RAID0 configuration I suspect. Otherwise TI works with RAID0 seamlessly. Piece of cake. :thumb:

4. Zeke77

Zeke77 Registered Member

Well, I won't be using external, so it looks like I'll be good to go. Thank you for the information Tatyana! :thumb:

Edit:I just used the new build of TI9 to create an archive file. The total size of the archive was to be 5000 Mb, so I split the file into 2 files (4000 and 1000) and burned 2 DVD's using Nero (First1.tib and First2.tib). I then made a TI9 bootable CD, booted, and went through a practice recovery. When I was asked to locate the source archive file, I put the first DVD in a received an error message about the file being corrupt, etc.. Well, I tried the second DVD disk and it worked and recognized a multiple disk backup. It then prompted me to insert the first DVD disk. Is this the normal way this works? If it is, the solution is not obvious at all and something that may need corrected in an update. I didn't try a recovery, but brought it to the point where it was ready to start. It all appeared to work fine, but I did notice that recovery would begin with the archive file First2.tib even though First1.tib was in the drive. A little confusing and I will try a recovery when I am ready to play with it more.....

GJ :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Zeke77,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to write backups to DVDs, however there are some provisos to be paid attention to.

At this time Acronis True Image 9.0 utilizes third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. To be able to write backups to DVDs we recommend you to install a UDF-packet DVD-writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD discs by means of this software and then use formatted discs with Acronis True Image 9.0.

To learn more please refer to http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#27.

There are two general ways to write a backup to DVDs.

Having started Acronis True Image 9.0 Backup Wizard from the main window and having specified what files/folders or partitions/entire hard drives you want to back up you will be brought to a screen where you will have to specify a folder/disk drive where you want to store the image to. You should point to your DVD-Rom at this time to proceed with creating an image to DVDs.

Acronis True Image 9.0 will automatically part the image into equal files to fit your DVDs.

When restoring an image after the described operation you will have to put in your DVD-Rom the last created image first. And then proceed in a backward order.

The other way to write an image to DVDs would be to create an image set with the archive splitting size at 2 GB on a local hard disk drive and then to copy the created image archives to DVDs.

Please note that once a full image is created as one consistent file it instantly becomes indivisible and in case it exceeds the limit of 4.7 GB (the maximum capacity of a DVD disc) you will not be able to divide it into parts and burn to DVDs.

However we would recommend you to set the archive splitting size manually if you are planning to transfer an image archive to DVD discs. The archive size should be set at 2 GB to avoid possible discrepancies when being restored later. This proviso relates to most of the modern DVD-writing software.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Zeke77

Zeke77 Registered Member

Thank you TT :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.