RAID 0 backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Avatar, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar

Hi,

I have 2 x SATA 160gb hard drives, NForce4 K8N Diamond, using NVidia RAID wanted to know if i have them in a RAID 0 array purchase a third hard drive and clone the RAID 0 array to make backups will this work? Also will i be able to copy back to the original RAID array from the backup hard drive byte for byte and make my array bootable again?

Thanks.

2. AlexM.

AlexM. Registered Member

Yes, this will work fine. I just did the same thing last week actually. Since Acronis copies files at the partition level, it doesn't know of any difference between a RAID setup and a single drive. The RAID controller actually makes any number of drives in a RAID array look like a single drive to the rest of the system. So yes, this will work just fine. (Assuming, of course, that the 3rd drive is big enough to hold all the data on the 3rd.)

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Avatar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Your scenario will work if you perform the cloning under Windows. Please start Acronis True Image and choose "Clone Disk" wizard. When you are asked to reboot the computer please reboot it and do not make any hardware/software changes until the cloning process is completed.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Guest

@Alex - when you say you did the same last week, was it with an nForce4 RAID controller? Did you do it stand-alone, or while running a full-fledged OS? And which OS?

Curious mind wants to know.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MiniMax,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support NVRAID in standalone mode. It means that you will not be able to clone the RAID or to the RAID after booting from Acronis Bootable CD. However, if you do that under Windows everything will be fine.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. AlexM.

AlexM. Registered Member

I did it while running in Linux, but it wasn't an nvraid chipset. I'm using a 3ware RAID board with kernel support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.