Race condition with era.exe?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Geosoft, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

    Geosoft Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Posts:
    270
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hey All,

    I'm currently on hold with ESET support, but I was just curious if anyone else has encountered a race condition with ERA.EXE at 100% (using all cores of my server) and not releasing unless the server reboots.

    Hoping that support team has a fix, or at least I can supply some debugging information to correct this issue.
     
  2. Brambb

    Brambb Registered Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Posts:
    411
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    Never seen this on any of my servers running ERA 3.x - I only have 4.x running on one virtual machine at this moment and it is still running fine.
     
  3. SmackyTheFrog

    SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Posts:
    767
    Location:
    Lansing, Michigan
    Have you tried just restarting the ERA service? Use something like process explorer to see which threads/libraries are jamming up the process when it acts up.
     
  4. Geosoft

    Geosoft Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Posts:
    270
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I actually found out from ESET Support that there's a bug with ERA and Windows 2003 that they are fixing in the next release. The solution is to restart the service or to downgrade back to version 3.
     
  5. JoeyJoeJoe

    JoeyJoeJoe Registered Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Posts:
    63
    Another nail in the coffin. I have no grief to report about the ESET client, but the console is unusable at this point.
     
  6. Geosoft

    Geosoft Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Posts:
    270
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My experience thus far is that if I leave the ERA Client open and connected to the Server, the era.exe process on the server will go into a race condition and does not seem to get out of it. Killing the era.exe process on the server will have the Windows Service restart the server and everything is back to normal.

    I can't remember where I found this, but I have read that there's a possibility that the ERA HTTP Mirroring service could be to blame. Although, I do not see how, I just recently turned off the ERA HTTP Service and starting to use IIS as of late day yesterday.
     
  7. SmackyTheFrog

    SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Posts:
    767
    Location:
    Lansing, Michigan
    I tracked that down with process explorer and saw that it was the web service thread that serves updates to clients that was running away. I was dealing with the same thing you guys are describing and cutting over to IIS months ago has completely fixed the problem in my environment. And frankly I am more comfortable running IIS and managing it's patches through WSUS than some old version of tomcat that gets updated roughly "whenever".
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.