RA console, order of the columns in clients tab

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by perbauer, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perbauer

perbauer Registered Member

For every time I go into the RA console the order of the columns has changed. It’s not that it goes back to the default setting; the order is different for every time I start RAC. And it’s only in the Clients tab, not in any of the others.
    Is anyone else experiencing this (guess not because there no mentioning of it in the forum, not that I’ve found)?
    Are the “Console UI” settings saved in a file somewhere? If it is then I can perhaps set it to read-only.

2. CNenad

CNenad Registered Member

Hi :) I am fighting with this column order issue almost a year with no solution :( Always waiting for new version and downloaded it immidiatly to see is this bug changed and fixed but no, not now, maybe sometimes in future :( Same thing was with RA Console from 2.x generation which was fixed. Same issue is again with 3.x generation but from almost one year. Different os-es, different accounts (administrator, user, under user account started with run as administrator) but same behaveour, column order is not remembered.

Also, beside that column order is not remembered, also is not remembered column which is choosed for sort order and asc or desc sort order.

It is very boring and anoying to always rearange columns in way I like and after exiting from console and starting again see that order is totaly randomized. Practicaly I don't use console just because and only because of this issue.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try the following:
    - with default settings, export the
    comparing the registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Console\CurrentVersion\Data\Clients\dColOrder registry key to a reg file
    - change column order and quit ERA
    - export the key to a different reg file

Are the reg files actually same? If the column order is not preserved, I assume ERA failed to save settings to this key.

4. perbauer

Thanks for your reply Marcos.
    I tried this and the regkey does change, I have write access.

5. Marcos

So even if the key value changes, the column order doesn't? I gather you're always logged in the account of the same user as the program layout is stored in the HKCU key which is individual for each user.

6. mcavic

mcavic Registered Member

This has been a problem for me ever since I installed RAC 3.0.105 (under XP Pro). It's still happening in 3.1.11. The major fix in 3.1 (remembering the console password) is extremely useful, but I'm anxiously awaiting 3.2.

7. perbauer

Well, the order changes too. And it changes quite randomly, for almost ever time I reboot or even just restart the console. Yes, with same user account logged in.
    It's quit confusing as you can imagine. Normally I find computers and software to be reliable (like if they crash on something they crash on that every time ;) ) but this I cannot understand where it's coming from.

8. CNenad

CNenad Registered Member

Will be soon this column order issue fixed ?

9. CNenad

CNenad Registered Member

Hi :) It seems that from 3.1.11 Console version is done half job, but not good.

Must be used Custom View mode. Order of columns should be changed one by one column. But after moving one column in desired position you should exit from console and re-run it again, move another column...etc...etc..etc.. blax blax blax.

Wow, what a productivity ? Or wasting of time and frustrating users ? Should companies charge you for wasting work time of their employees which all work day moving your columns in desired position becuase someone did not test all portions and functionality ? Should we use another solution ?

But, when I'm almost rearrange order of column in desired position and way I like, I must temporally to change auto refresh time for console and, gues what ? Paff... order of columns was reset... Oh no, not again...

To remember choosen columns for sort order and choosen sort order, is it too much to ask for it ? I dare you, I don't think you can fix this before man land on Mars.

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have forwarded a copy of your product enhancement request for ESET Remote Administrator has been forwarded to ESET's product marketing manager for ESET Remote Administrator.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. CNenad

CNenad Registered Member

Product enhancment ? Huh :( If I correctly remember even RAC v2 had saving order of columns (no matter how much I them moved around console) and which column is choosed for sort order and which sort order is applied.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The issue is under investigation. Thank you for your report.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. HUD

HUD Registered Member

And? Is there an end to investigation or "the donkey expired long before the green grass grew"?
    Could you at least point us to regkey that is responsible for saving ERA console settings?
    Maybe it should be transfered into an .ini file, after all column order isn't much of the security issue..

10x anyway

14. perbauer

Here's the key (the one I've been pointed towards anyway);
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Console\CurrentVersion\Data\Clients]

Although... if I remember correctly, I never got the sort order to stick using this key anyhow. Maybe you'll have better luck.

15. nubdonut

nubdonut Registered Member

Hi peep,

I find this bug very irritating too. A way to prevent this from happening is to exit RAC in a proper way by "Alt-F4" or go to File-->Exit.

Don't click the cross button at the top right hand corner or just reboot your workstation to shut down RAC.

Try it out!

16. Marcos

This issue will be eventually fixed in ERA4 RC that will be available for download shortly.

17. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Marcos - will ERA4 be able to install on top of 3.1.15?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.