QupZilla - I Hope Firefox Gets A Beating Here!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by DasFox, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hello Fellow Linux Geeks! ;)

Well for many of you new and young in these Linux circles, I'm sure you have possibly, but I did say possibly, so maybe not, had the bad run ins already with Firefox in Linux?

Well Firefox is still Firefox, while it's still my favorite it certainly isn't without it's faults and that DAMM memory leaking is always a problem at some point, not to mention now I see the CPU being shot up to 100% on occassion...

And now with all the Version Updates Mayhem & Madness it's just a mess more often than it's not, especially with all the various addons out there trying to keep them working properly from update to update...

Well after all these years, Firefox is getting on my nerves and I came across this great little beauty in the making;

QupZilla --- http://www.qupzilla.com/

Granted it's in some what early development but man this browser looks really nice at this stage of the game and very promising.

So hold onto your hats, get in there and download it, check it out, submit bug reports to help improve it along with requests and feedback and in time, we might have us a real winner!

All I can say is this team of developers is in it to make a winner here and I hope to see it real soon, then it's CHOW BABY to the FiredFox LOL!

CHEERS & Happy Surfing!

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Any idea how much of this is based on FF? It looks like an early version of FF. I also wonder about security measures in place, especially since it has a Windows version. If you're giving it a spin, how does it perform?

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

4. Cool, I'll check it out.

5. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I just compiled (64-bit) and installed it. Looks a lot like Firefox with some added bells and whistles as part of the basic package. It starts a bit slower than Firefox on my system. Page loads are about the same.

From my initial look, those bells and whistles can all be added using extensions in Firefox. I really don't see any advantages to using this over Firefox. I think I will stick with Firefox. I don't seem to have the problems with Firefox that some folks seem to have.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

all browsers will suffer when there are too many 3rd party trackers and adds trying to run.

the only solution i found is to control javascripts one way or the other.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Firefox usually runs just fine for me..until Flash comes into the picture.

@Moontan: You're right, controlling scripts is about the best way to get the job done and bring some of these insanely "busy" websites under control. The price of that though is lots of tweaking and often broken websites. *shrug* I may let this browser mature a bit more before I go testing it out. The Dev seems to have his plate full, going by past release dates, and this looks to still be quite a work in progress. I hope it works out though, in my opinion we need more competition in the browser market.

8. chrisretusn

No problems with Firefox and flash for me.

I do wish the QupZilla success.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You're talking about an ESR version. If you get tired of constant FF updates then an ESR version might what you're looking for. There is a project for Mac Power PC users who are SOL with with mainstream FF because Mozilla no longer provides updates for their browsers, called TenFourFox which is essentially an ESR version that can be installed on old Macs and be reasonably close to the latest FF update on their aging systems. Qupzilla hopes to do the same for Unix systems and its a welcome development.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't get it. What does this provide?

11. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

ESR support on Unix. If you don't want to update your browser rapidly, this is the solution.

12. chrisretusn

Got it running on Haiku.

13. Andz

Andz Registered Member

What's "ESR"?

14. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I tried the Windows version. It is not preferable over Firefox.

15. chrisretusn

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Just a passive-aggressive storm in a teacup ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.