QuickInstaller Software Updater/Installer Releases & Discussions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mops21, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

2. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

3. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

4. feerf56

5. Sampei Nihira

The author of the software wrote it,not me:

https://www.quickinstaller.net/download

6. feerf56

7. XIII

XIII Registered Member

It's not blocked by NextDNS (which I also use) by default.

Maybe you enabled some blocklist that is blocking it?

8. Sampei Nihira

DDNS does not depend on a list.
    You probably have not enabled protection (beta).

9. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I have all options on the NextDNS security tab enabled, including dynamic DNS host names protection (labeled as beta).

Which domain was blocked for you?

10. Sampei Nihira

1.jpg

11. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I agree, maybe he also needs SUMo users support.

https://www.quickinstaller.net/about

Edit: I have reached out to him. See if he responds.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  12. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks for reaching out to him, @paulderdash Quickinstaller does look promising indeed.:thumb:

13. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I scanned my machine with both QuickInstaller and UCheck earlier today. My personal results (minus MS stuff and double counts 32/64-bit):
    QuickInstaller supports 9 apps (7 installed, 2 portable apps).
    UCheck supports only 6 apps so far (5 installed, 1 portable app).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  14. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Some way to go before the 664 apps (including portables) I am able to track on SUMo. :D

Edit: Kyle is probably wondering why he wasn't he millionaire. :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  15. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Mops21:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ran an initial scan with QuickInstaller (Preview / BETA) v0.2.8706.23602 (rel. 02-Nov-2023)*** and so far the results are quite encouraging. It detected 45 installed apps (14 fully supported, including 1 available update for the Microsoft .NET Runtime v7.0.x required for QuickInstaller that I allowed QuickInstallerSetup.exe to install for me) plus 39 .exe excutables for my ~ 30 portable apps in the E:\Portable folder of my removable USB stick of which 7 are fully supported [CPUID Hardware Monitor, HWiNFO, Patch My PC, Process Explorer, Revo Uninstaller Free (32-bit and 64-Bit) and Sysinternals Autoruns].

I'll have to do a bit of tweaking to exclude some of the "companion" .exe executables for my portable apps [for example, I don't need QuickInstaller to check for updates for the HDCleanerHelper.exe file that comes with my HD Cleaner Portable v2.0.5.9 app (HDCleaner.exe)] and to submit requests to have some of my detected (but currently unsupported) programs added to the list of software that is fully supported by QuickInstall, but so far it looks like it could be a good replacement for SUMo.

*** Note that the only glitch I ran into when installing QuickInstaller was that my Windows Defender SmartScreen flagged QuickInstallerSetup.exe as an unrecognized app, but that's a known issue discussed on the download page at https://www.quickinstaller.net/download and was easily fixed by clicking the "More Information" link on the SmartScreen warning and selecting "Run Anyway" - see the PCWorld article How to Get Past Windows Defender SmartScreen in Windows 10 for more information. Once QuickInstaller finished installing I had no problem launching the actual program and running a scan.
    --------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Firefox v119.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5.293-1.0.2181 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v5.0.4.0 * QuickInstaller BETA v0.2.8706.23602

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Sampei Nihira

This unsigned software would force me to lower a line of defense I have been using for many years,the "Validate Admin Code Signatures" registry key or use a specific command line that bypasses UAC.
    It is not for me.

20. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

QI is not able to run inside sandboxie, and it need some part of NET software. ucheck could do. someone else noticed that QI wants admin rights to work, others not. the registry is read only by default for HKLM and this do not need any further rights. anyhow ~600 known programs is very small i would say.

21. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Has anyone submitted any programs to be considered to be added to QuickInstaller's database? I submitted two a few days ago and received an email thanking me. I submitted another three today but the email I received back was this: Due to many user submissions, at this moment I cannot determine when or if it will be approved. Not very promising. Perhaps the QuickInstaller project is too much for one person. Regardless, does anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations for a SUMo replacement?

22. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Has anyone tried UpdateHub? Just found it on the Internet, but I have not tried it yet.

23. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Yes, early days application but shows promise...but I think that QuickInstaller is superior in concept and maturity.

24. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OK, thanks. I have so far tried only UCheck and OuickInstaller - didn't really like them. Still looking for a decent SUMo replacement, but I doubt I will find one.:(

25. JasonUK

JasonUK Registered Member

I'm running both uCheck & QuickInstaller currently... it's a close tie between the two at the moment; Quickinstaller is better for portables in my experience but uCheck is better for managing exceptions. Until I'm confident that one is as comprehensive as SUMo I'll use them both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.