Quick question about local network communications.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ShaneR34, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

So, I downloaded Comodo Firewall to play around with it and seems to be working without issue.

However, I am curious about one thing...I see a lot of blocked incoming connections from the other devices on my local network (another Win 7 PC and a printer). Why all the communication attempts?

Still getting my head around the firewall, of course, and learning some of these things...

2. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

A lot of it depends on how you have your connections set up, and if file and printer sharing is enabled. I get only one attempt from another PC on my network. Once I deny access I see no more alerts. But I have sharing turned off and most other services that need to ask. Windows Firewall blocks such attempts by default so you never see them.

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

My girl's printer on our network is always broadcasting itself. I just created a rule to silently block it without logging. I didn't see any way to configure it to stop that behavior, although I didn't look too hard either. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Cool, thanks guys.

I wasn't too concerned about it, just curious why they were making all the attempts.

I'll have a look at my network settings again (I thought I had sharing etc turned off).