quick q about internet deletion

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by personguy666, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. personguy666

personguy666 Registered Member

ok so i was on a forum that was hosted by forumotion and since it doesnt allow tor i used my real ip address.
    but i found a good proxy (i prefer to protect privacy on there) and the admin let me re register w/ it.
    question is, its a temp forum, so if it gets deleted is there still records of every1 using it with the ip address of the user? or does that get com. erased too?

2. personguy666

3. box750

box750 Registered Member

It will depend on server configuration, but I think that most likely the company keeps a backup copy of all deleted forums in case of future problems, like law enforcement asking for data. It will help them cover possible legal liabilities. It is impossible for a user to know how long a company keeps backups unless they tell you.

Back up data will include posting IPs and messages, there would be no point in keeping a security back up that can not be used to trace the poster IP.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. personguy666

what would be a reasonable estimate tho?
    also i know about posting data w/ ips but do they do the same w/ viewing data for example?

5. personguy666

but data gets overwritten right?

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Did you plan the end of the world or something on this forum?

There's certainly no standard for how long one keeps data from a forum. You said it was a "temporary" forum anyway, so I would think it would be gone and be done with within hours or days. I don't know that any host would feel the need to wipe the data securely unless there was some agreed upon reason to do so when the forum was created.

7. personguy666

nah i just want to perfectly secure my anonymity.
    also it's prob a forum that'll get deleted soon.

8. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Just because the forum is deleted does not mean that backups created by the site admin or the hosting company are gone. If you want to "perfectly secure your anonymity" as you say. I suggest ALWAYS using either Tor or a good VPN.

9. personguy666

the issue here is keeping my alternate facebook accounts anonymous.
    on one of them i sent one of my friends a message telling them what my username on the forum was. and i didn't use tor for that forum account. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.