Quick, few days left

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by meneer, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Loaded up and trying it out now.

It loads up 3 processes in memory, but has no slow down on this old box( Pentium II, 400MHz, 192 MB RAM).

Very quick scan speed but I presume this is because it cannot unpack?

Only problem is that at the present time I cannot use the updater; it connects but then states there is an error. I have rebooted several times to no avail!!!

Did anyone previously who had this problem manage to solve it?

Good GUI and easy to set up.

Early thoughts are it will not replace any of my present registered AV's but as a free program it is an excellent choice.

Now back to this update problem :mad:.

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hi Blackcat. If you are using look n stop ( think you are ) then that may be the problem. Its about the only firewall that will not allow the ftp access. I switched to E trust firewall just for a change . and it goes real well, with the anti virus. However I remember Tinribs having that hassle some time back . Not sure how or what he did to fix it . He may pop in and comment .

3. Blackcat

Robert, I have tried to download without my firewall running. Still does not update!!!

Not critical, as I can manually download virus definitions.

It just would have been nice if the automatic updater had worked.

Hope it's warmer down in KiwiLand :).

4. solarpowered candle

I think Chuck 57 also had some issues with his downloading in the beginning . Im noit sure if he is still manually updating or sussed it out .. Be interesting to hear how others have managed .
    yea Alan its warmer by half a degree each week down under lol .The suns slowely returning from its trip north.Hope you are enjoying the beach and those nice long summer days Reminds me of my favourite song long time ago "itze bitze teenie weenie yellow poka dot bakinie " Have a great summer :)

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've never gotten the manual update to work, so download the updates manually. I tried everything from disabling to removing my firewall just to check if that was the cause. I had Sygate Pro when I got Etrust. It made no difference. No auto update.

I removed Etrust completely and reloaded it figuring it could have been a download problem. Still nothing with or without the firewall. I've switched to LooknStop firewall since and have decided to update manually. I think the antivirus is worth the couple of minutes it takes to update every other day.

6. Blackcat

At least I know now it's not me ;).

Thanks for confirming, Chuck.

7. solarpowered candle

It provides daily signiture updates . There is a daily virus/alert newsletter that you can subscribe to . A interesting link I noticed in the newsletter is to the Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute . In there site is 3 very good articles on Home computer security http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/
    also on Home network security http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html
    and an ionteresting article on Security of the internet http://www.cert.org/encyc_article/tocencyc.html
    All most interesting reading for new and home users .

8. fryr

fryr Registered Member

Auto Updates for non Windows 2003 Servers

The following should enable automatic updates for other operating systems :-

1. Run eTrust AntiVirus
    2. Scanner Menu
    3. Signature Update Options
    4. Incoming Tab
    5. Add
    Method = FTP
    Host Name = ftpav.ca.com
    User Name = anonymous
    Password = Somebody@somecompany.com
    Confirm Password = Somebody@somecompany.com
    Proxy Name =
    Remote Path = /pub/inoculan/scaneng/

9. axeuch

axeuch Guest

I must say that it is great to see the e Trust firewall coming a close 3rd in the leak tests http://www.pcflank.com/art41a.htm
    I am utilising it with my eTrust v7 anti virus and have to say it flows very sweetly. It has the same cookie / add blocking/ mobile control and email protection as zonealarm pro and since using I have not had any adds / spam / pop ups / spyware cookies / web bugs etc. I have not had to use spybot and adware since installing it. Its quite a lot more affordable also than all the mainstream firewalls (more so after the first year ) I do not mind buying it as I am getting a excellent free anti virus for many years .to compliment it.
    It appears that they have done away with the separate e trust armour desktop protection and made it part of the firewall.to give excellent mail protection.

10. solarpowered candle

I second that lol :)
    that was me above . forgot to sign inn

11. Blackcat

Good to hear you have settled on your AV and firewall choices now, spc.

You may be optimistic, however, in thinking that the server edition of Etrustv7 will be free 'for years'.

I remember them promising free updates for life for their standalone Inoculate AV, which was the main free AV scanner before AVG came along. They no longer support this version.

Etrust7, with the 2 scanning engines, looks very promising and should offer good protection. But whether CA Associates continue to support it indefinitely may be wishful thinking.

Most companies obviously want you to buy their products and their 'free' software is simply to wet your appetite and suck you into their commercial lines. Look at the new AV utility from eScan. This is simply business.

You may therefore sometime in the future have to continue your unending search for the 'perfect' AV, Robert :D.

12. solarpowered candle

lol quite true Alan :)
    They are discontinuing one of those free past products and i believe it will finnish in 2004. however they have just released this free version in 2003 so those who want it may still pick it up . However it a plweasant change and im gonna run with this combo for this coming year . I will of course be tempted in a few months to try out the kav5 when that arrives lol. I think thats the one we are all awaiting .( the ala super anti virus )

13. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hello,To all

Hey could someone tell me if this is stell
    being downloaded for free & is that with
    free updates or is it try before you buy
    sounds like a good Virus scanner anyone
    having any problems at all with it

Thank you :)

14. fryr

fryr Registered Member

Looks like it is still available for download.

Working fine for me on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1

The software is Promotional (Free)

Manual updates work without any further configuration.

Automatic updates are Free but you will need to tell it where to download them from if you are not running Windows 2003 server - see earlier in the thread.

As this is really a corporate version you will find excellent realtime and routine scanning detection and cleaning. What you will not find is a scanner that checks incoming/outgoing emails but these will be checked by the realtime monitor once the email/attachment is opened.

15. solarpowered candle

If its still available for free download (the promotional version) then its worth getting . Its an excellent anti virus scanner Im really happy with it . :)

16. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hello,fryr & solarpowered candle

First i hope you had a great weekend now
    this is what i downloaded you tell me if this is it

eav7promo.exe is this right if so thanks for
    the info & time i will run it on my Win2000Pro
    see if the Laptops like it or not it sounds like
    it is a good scanner time will tell you have a
    good day ;)

Good luck :)

17. fryr

fryr Registered Member

AAP,

Yes this is the correct installation file.

You can either run this installation routine and then add an FTP update server so that automatic updates will occur on your system.

Alternatively you can unpack the file you downloaded with WinRAR and replace the INOC6.ICF and INODIST.INI with the ones attached - these are text configuration files which will allow you more control over the installation routine and also auto updates for other windows platforms. (Remeber to remove the .TXT extension). Then run the setup routine.

Attached Files:

18. fryr

fryr Registered Member

And the other file

Attached Files:

19. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

We use the command-line option in our mailserver and all in/outbound mail will be scanned
    Dolf

20. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hello,fryr

Ok are you asking me to delete/Remove these files here
    INOC6.ICF and INODIST.INI

with the files you posted for me or am i just nut's
    now if this is what you are saying then i will Unpack
    the file then look for the files & replace with the 2 you
    posted right :rolleyes: if so please let me know this i am
    going to hold tell i hear from you

Hi,Dollefie

Thanks but i need more info i have no idea what you
    just said to me so if you find the time to reply i thank you

Good luck :)

21. fryr

fryr Registered Member

You can install with the original INOC6.ICF and INODIST.INI but you will have little control over the installation (not able to disable unwanted server type options) and once installed you will have to manually configure in order to enable automatic updates.

I would suggest that you install with the 2 files I published instead (replace the existing files) as these will allow full access to the install options and also automatic updating will be available for non Windows 2003 server operating systems.

22. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hello,fryr

Once again thanks for the files & the help i
    will do as you posted let's see how it gos
    with the Install will let you know if all gos
    a ok well you have a great day thanks

Good luck :D

23. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Some mailservers have te possibility to scan in/outbound mail.
    With eTrust you can scan a file from the command-line like this:

C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\ScanEngine\Inocmd32.exe

with arguments: -ACT MOVE -LIS:C:\virus.txt <file>

then all incoming and outgoing mail will be scanned

Attached Files:

24. kyte

kyte Registered Member

I downloaded this one on the weekend. I am a bit confused tho. there seems to be two engines...vet and inoculateIT. which of these is recommended as default?

25. solarpowered candle

Your choices Kyte :) It arrives with Innoculate as the scanner and monitor. But you can alternate around if you choose. Because the scanning is fast I always use Innoculate then do a scan with Vet straight after
    A few settings that may be of interest Step-By-Step: Set Antivirus Software for Maximum Protection

Activate crucial settings to ensure that your system is completely protected.
    these settings for optimising your e Trust anti virus for the best protection can be found at
    http://my-etrust.com/news/pressreleasedetails.cfm?pressReleaseID=16
    click on PC World: Step-By-Step
    View Press Release
    worth a check for those who may be utilising the version 7

If you are trialing firewalls at any time , I do recommend EZ Firewall from e trust . Its excellent .And also has mail protection with it as well as privacy and add blocking/cookie controll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.