Quick, few days left

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by meneer, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Etrust V7 is available for download FREE until may 31. It's the Windows 2003 server version (pity not the one for other platforms ;) )

Go, get it here

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Installed and scanned fine on w2k Pro... ;)

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I downloaded it today and it runs great on my machine, XP Home, 1.2G AMD, 524RAM. I'm still playing with it in an attempt to learn everything but, so far, nothing seems too difficult. It contains a good help file that even an idiot like me can understand (sometimes re-reading the info a couple of times).

I like it, and especially like the two scan engines, although it does seem to want to use the Inoculat engine as primary. As fast as it scans it's no big deal to run the Vet engine when the Inoculat is done.

I'm not on a network at the moment, since XP keeps deleting or losing the network connection with my wife's machine. That's an unrelated problem, though.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

How good is E trust 7.0 I noticed that they do not rank that highly on tests done . however the 7 maybe really good . Anyone know :)

5. Chuck57

From what I've read, ETrust is pretty good. I did some searching and apparently they've got an excellent pass rate on the virus tests, more passes than any other AV. I don't know if that's true or not.

I downloaded it because I like the idea of two scan engines in one package. ETrust is fast enough that I can run both and still be finished minutes ahead of any other AV I've played with, except maybe PCCillin.

For free, with no time limit on updates, it can't be beat in my opinion.

6. solarpowered candle

Thank you chuck :)

7. RAV

RAV Guest

I was already running ETrust EZ and decided to give the promo a try. Very nice indeed.

8. controler

controler Guest

Hi

This link seemed to work better for me.

http://etrustantivirus.ca.com/v7/ No Direct Download Links.

9. controler

controler Guest

I hate to be the bearer of bad news again but Yes, Mr controler
    downloaded the program being the software junkie he is and
    this is the only other program that messed up my computer besides KAV's Antihacker.
    After installing this program my computer would only boot to safe mode. I had yo boot to safe mode to uninstall this program and then deleted the program file. I tried for two hours. At my age, It is sad to waste two hours of ones life. :(

10. RAV

RAV Guest

Runs fine on WinXP.

11. RAV

RAV Guest

ETrust 7 ran fine on WinXP Home, but I decided it was a little overkill and reloaded my licensed version of ETrust EZ 6.1. The only big difference is that ETrust 7 uses both VET and Innoculate IT engines, whereas the EZ version only uses VET. Both engines regularly are awarded VB awards.

12. Chuck57

Yeah, RAV, I was running two AV programs prior to downloading this, a regular and a backup. Now, I have Inoculate IT running for incoming and use Vet as a scan engine. I like ETrust's record in VB tests, too. I agree that this software is probably overkill, considering that in almost 7 years online I've had two virus attempts and the wife one, but hers wrecked her hard drive. AVG failed to catch it. She lost a huge amount of graphics work that she hadn't yet saved to CD.

We figure to give this a try for a while. So far, I'm happy.

13. xam

xam Registered Member

Update -

Don't feel you have missed out if you didn't get it - it is still available as of today (16 Jun).

14. waytoomuchcoffee

waytoomuchcoffee Registered Member

Hot damn, thanks for the heads up. I didn't see this when I was lurking before...

I can't help but thinking there is some sort of catch here. Especially when the confirmation email says "daily digitally-signed signature updates at no additional cost, ever."
    :D

15. waytoomuchcoffee

Update: there is no way to get this to look at SMTP mail, is there?

Also, it doesn't recognize the Eicar virus. I wonder if it's even working.

Edit: Duh. It did recognize Eicar. I just have to figure out how to turn on the alerts.

16. Chuck57

I downloaded it as soon as I saw the post. I've yet to see an updated signature file. I tried updating and it refuses to connect. I did manage a manual update of the Inoculate engine.

I'll keep playing with it, but think I might end up going back to PCCillin or McAfee.

17. waytoomuchcoffee

I had the same problem. You have to reboot after your install (twice total) to get the signature file update to work. After that, it works normally.

18. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Same issue noted here. Took a couple of reboots to update the Vet files.

19. solarpowered candle

I downloaded this also and got into a heap of hassles . I couldnt uninstall it and kept getting this " The log file C:\ Programme files\CA \ e Trust anti virus\ Unins. isu is not valid or the data has been corrupted. uninstalation will not continue" . Then my connection would keep going out on me and I would have to keep on rebooting . Well on my old machine this anti virus takes some time do do that . Any ways to cut a long story short I was still here watching the sun rise this morning . I picked away at the peices through the early hours of the morning till i thought I had cleared most of it , but not so . so I re downloaded from another link and spent some time learning how to get the darn thing to flow on my machine , as Im obviously stuck with it lol. I have to say now that im really enjoying it and the many hours of freakin out and games ,with it , as it seems to be very sensitive and touchy with some other software , have been worth it . It even completely froze out TDS3 and I had to uninstall and reinstall that twice . At last by this evening lol ( Im a real slow learner and enjoy a solitudinal mystry ) I have it sussed and my pc is flowing real nice as is the e Trust . It would not co operate with any of the firewalls I use from time to time either . So now Im trying out the e Trust firewalll . Which is the same as zone labs as they are connected . but perhaps a lot more user freindly . Im fact its a very nice firewall . and goes really well with the anti virus .
    Thats my trip with this free anti virus and a neat learning curve
    :)

The downloads work in regular fashion too with no errors ,

20. I_lack_commonsense

I_lack_commonsense Registered Member

A nice AV. Support was "ok" as well (prompt reply but rather vague). Though I did not see an email feature, perhaps it is handled by the resident AV monitor. Had absolutely no problems with installation/uninstallation or updating either. Maybe the updating issue has something to do with it using FTP and not http?

21. solarpowered candle

day by day , I have to say , im feeling really comfortable with this great anti virus programme . Its pretty fast at scanning also . It kind of makes you wonder what the catch is :) a life time of free updates for a package that half of it , say vet for instance , would cost easily $35 year
    I can only look up and say" thank you" ( like the shephard and his fellow side kick , as they left there horses outside the Speights brewery tour, and looking at the testing room realised they had been locked in for the long weekend)

22. minacross

minacross Registered Member

the download page collects info about company name, size ..etc
    does this mean it is not for personal use !! o_O

23. solarpowered candle

I just put in "None" for many of the details , but filled in all the required gaps with something .

24. meneer

meneer Registered Member

:D where's the CA-tch ?
    It's a great tool with good results in the VB100% tests.

25. minacross

minacross Registered Member

just installed it on my Win98SE pc and working great :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.