Questions on services (Windows XP SP2)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Nick-I also have had little luck with restarting from Recovery mode-that was the question .
    I wanted other peoples experience as it looks like a good failsafe arrangement-too good to be true seemingly.
    Luckily I was backed up-have just restored the services to their previous happy state.:thumb:
    bestest Hairy

2. Hairy Coo

Innerpeace

Nice find-very useful for double checking one against the other:thumb:

bestest Hairy

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Hairy Coo. The things we do to customize our PC's LOL. The best part is I no longer have anything listening on any ports according to TCP View :thumb:.

Cheers

4. Hairy Coo

Further to my previous post-using the recommended Power User settings-so far lost Outpost login-scanner app was not working properly and Quicken records were wrong:ouch:

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Another XP Services guide that I think hasn't been mentioned as yet.

Not that I implement it as I prefer my own settings but some good info nevertheless.

Bold Fortunes XP Services Guide

Anyone doing heavy duty slimming/tweaking should really have a decent backup such as ghost images just in case.

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks to all of you guys :)

Your replies have been very useful :thumb:

As already mentioned I have disabled a few services. I will try more but only one at a time, and over time, no hurry. Good to know I can go back and read this thread over again as often as I like. Now I will check out the links posted by Innerpeace and Franklin. Thanks :)

7. Hairy Coo

I have double checked all four links relating to services discussed here-BlackViper,plus two from Innerpeace and one from Franklin.

I think that the necessarily conservative approach to take -thats if you really want to take any action at all-is the approach taken by The Elder Geek(thanks Innerpeace) here.

Apart from T.E.G,-I doubt if the others are fully aware or have given enough thought about all the unlikely dependencies which the services are responsible for satisfactorarily running-the name of the service itself or even the description often isnt self explanatory at all..

T.E.G. makes this observation;

"Frankly, I don't recommend you change any of the services from the default installation of XP. Yes, you may pick up a tiny performance gain by fiddling with the settings, but it won't be anything substantial. It's just my opinion, but if you are in a situation where these gains are necessary to achieve an increased level of system performance, it would be wiser to upgrade the physical system to one that is adequate to benefit from the XP operating system."

Edit-even his recommendations arent foolproof-except the one that says -Do Nothing.
    If you have changed your theme-dont use Theme-manual,otherwise the theme will revert to the original.
    I have now used Bold Fortunes auto settings where they conflict with T.E.Gs-most of T.E.Gs and obviously some of my own for unrelated software and where the others may be in serious doubt.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.