Questions for Steve about Xerobank

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by cett2, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cett2

cett2 Registered Member

Hi Steve, first I'd like to thank you for all your hard work you have contributed towards privacy and anonymity. You have separated a lot of fact from fiction in regards to true vs compromised anonymity. At least I personally learned a lot from reading your posts...

Now, I wanted to learn more about Xerobank in particular, and if you don't mind can you help me answer these questions?:

External Pressure from LE: (Subpoena / search warrant to reveal an Xerobank user)
    In these posts, you have mentioned that Xerobank has never ever unrevealed an Xerobank user to any investigative agency.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1466592&postcount=57
    "That's not true. Never, not once, has XN AG ever produced or unmasked a user, their traffic, or given any logs or information to any investigative agency. Not through hundreds of subpoenas, thousands of requests, dozens of investigations, many years of attack, and a few close encounters with LEO agents, has Xero ever rolled on a user. It's all about integrity." -SteveTX

In this post, you mention that Xeorbank have never revealed anyone's identity or logs to LE. Does this mean that Xerobank's only disciplinary action has only been canceling a member's service and Xerobank has never, not once reported a user / their activities to LE? (Upon the hundreds of subpoenas, requests, pressure from LE etc)

Also in Xerobank's TOS and Abuse Report and Process Flow, it specifically mentions that Xerobank has the right to report a user / or their activities to LE if TOS is breached. Does this mean that this Xerobank has never took this action, not even once? Even if the user has violated TOS? And that Xerobank only reserves the right to take that action? (Again, even if it has never been used once?)

Is this correct?

from Xerobank's TOS:
    https://xerobank.com/company/tos/
    "All incoming connections are known to XeroBank, and outgoing traffic can be traced by XeroBank. We employ the use of intelligent monitoring software to assist and notify XeroBank of such activities. In the case that our monitoring software flags traffic as suspicious or malicious, XeroBank may begin to log the traffic and/or dispatch a human auditor to determine the nature of the activity. If the activity is found to be non-malicious, the flags are removed, and the logs are wiped. Violation of these terms may result in immediate suspension, investigation, or notification of authorities"

Also Xerobank's Abuse Report and Procses Flow
    http://xerobank.com/docs/ARPF.pdf
    .... Consequences=> "Report to LE"

"Report to LE", "Notification of authorities", again, these actions have never been taken by Xerobank? Has a Xerobank user ever been arrested for using Xerobank?

Another Question, if its okay with you Steve:

What are the chances of someone using P2P to download / upload and to have discplinary action towards that person's account (Suspension, cancellation, investigation)

I would imagine that the majority of Xerobank disciplinary action is for users who use Xerobank to Spam / Hack / Fraud, and that P2P usage is a less common trigger of Xerobank disciplinary action.

Am I wrong here?

I am assuming that Xerobank has never reported a user / or a user's activities to LE, but if this action is something Xerobank DOES take, and my previous posts about Xerobank and LE reporting are incorrect, what are the chances of this happening from using P2P through Xerobank?

Also, what is the probability for someone to use Xerobank and to have discplinary action taken against their account for violating TOS? From your posts, you make it seem that Xerobank anonymity and privacy is so strong that even most violation of TOS => no disciplinary action. and that disciplinary action is saved for the most biggest material breaches. (Ex: Hacking into a bank, vs P2P downloading / uploading)

Is this correct? Or am I mistaken here also?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

I can confirm that we have never reported a user to LE, and disciplinary action has never exceeded termination of an account.

Correct.

Correct.

Not to my knowledge.

Currently, the chances are pretty slim. The most likely action is we will blackroute the P2P tracker if there are complaints.

We only care when we get a complaint from our upstream providers/peers. P2P is the most common complaint we get, by far. However, spam/fraud is a more rare and significant infringement. For the most part, XeroBank users are very good.

Shhh. We don't want that getting around or everyone will want XeroBank. :)

3. DiscoGuy2009

DiscoGuy2009 Registered Member

XB is a good service. I use it. That being said, it is far from a transparent organisation. Steve reduced himself to the lowest form of defence when I raised some valid questions regarding the source of XB seed money and he wrote me off as a troll.

See:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231631

4. JB007

JB007 Registered Member

Hi Steve, I have been taking a look through this thread and I keep reading two ways of taking the questions asked and answers given. Just to satisfy my curiosity, if the question about Xerobank reporting a user for a breach of the tos or whatever, and you replied that you have never reported anyone...So I was seeing another side to the question and wanted to ask, if you have never reported anyone for breaching the tos ect, have you ever handed over a users details/ip address or whatever it is you hold, to an agency as a result of a legal request/warrant ect? I cant help myself when it comes to something I find ambiguous, so had to ask..

Also, can you say if xerobank can be used on a virtual os, for example a portable drive with mobile system that enables you to use someone elses pc from your own drive?

I`m impressed with the speeds I`m getting through xerobank, nice to have something that dosent slow you up, thanks.

Thanks for the reply

5. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Never.

Absolutely. Infact we wrote quite a few of them ourselves.

Thank you very much. We spend a lot of time working on the network to make sure our customers are happy with the performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.