Questions for FDISR - Empty snapshot,MBR,ISR Folder

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sunrise, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Hi,

Got three questions here, appreciate your help:

Q1. If I do a clean install of OS using empty snapshot creation, (call this snapshot 2), is it true that if i do not install FDISR in snapshot 2 too, when reboot, i can never see the pre-boot screen; meaning i can't boot back to snapshot 1 unless i install FDISR in snapshot 2 together with the clean installation of OS?

Q2. The latest version changes mention that the preboot hook has move to boot sector instead of MBR. If i install the old version first (which uses MBR) then upgrade to the latest version, will the pre-boot hook still be in the MBR or? or i need to uninstall completely the old version and install the full 3.2 version instead from leapfrog? (sorry, not much technical knowledge about MBR etc)

Q3. I read that the ISR folder is hidden, and once change the folder view settings, I can see the ISR folder, but there is this folder name 0 which I was denied access to view. what is this folder and how to access the folder? Where is my snapshot stored?

Many thanks!

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sunrise,

Q1. You have to install FDISR also after the OS is installed in the empty snapshot.
    Read post #7 in this thread, which describes how to use an Empty Snapshot.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=173661

Q2. I don't know for sure but I assume that MBR is adjusted during the upgrade. Leapfrog wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

Q3. I don't really know. I have no access to these folders 0,1,A, but it has something to do with the number of snapshots you use in FDISR.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@sunrise

Q1: as per E-A
    Q2: simple update is ok, nothing wrong with uninstall and reinstall ( you would need to dl a "full" new version installation as Raxco supplies "patches" )
    Q3: to access the files you mention '0', '1' etc you have to stop the ISR service:

Open a Command Prompt and enter the following:
    cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup
    ISRService -stop

you can then access the files.
    As a general rule - DO NOT - fiddle with those files unless there is some very specific reason to do so.

To Restart the ISR service:
    Back in the Command Prompt enter:
    ISRService -start

Why do you want to access those file images?

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

There's probably a better than even chance that will end in tears :) I suspect those files are made difficult to access for a reason.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yes..

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You got that right. That's why I don't want to know how to open these folders.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

When I did some testing of the copy engines for a problem I had, I had to start in safe mode because I was XP home ( which also meant I didn't have to disable FD because it didn't start) and do a lot of things with inheriting permissions before I could access the 0 file and change the copy engine.

As others have said perhaps it's not such a good idea unless it's for troubleshooting and under guidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.