Questions concerning TrueImage 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MartinH, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinH

MartinH Registered Member

Hello,

I am going to upgrade to version 9 because it seems to be pretty stable now.
    But I have a few questions about it before I decide to upgrade or not:

1. I have read something about file-backup (backup files instead of partitions). Does this feature work in the Rescue/Linux - mode?

2. the new Snap-Restore isn't described very well, so I have some questions:

2a. Is it true, that when I'm using Snap-restore, it first restores the operating system files and then boot into windows and then restores the programs and other files?

2b. How does Snap-Restore work? Does it mount the system partition from the image, boot from the image and then copy the files from the image to the "real" partition?

2c. When Snap-Restore has finished restoring the OS and it has rebooted and I am in windows, how can I see whether a program is restored already or not (for example when I want to start a game)

2d. A few days ago I wanted to record a movie from TV with my capture card Hauppauge PVR-250 (hardware-MPEG2-Encoding). But 30 minutes before the movie started I had a windows crash so it couldn't boot anymore. Restoring the system partition with TI 8.0 has taken more than 1 hour (my system partition is 70 GB), so I couldn't record the movie.
    For future cases like that I want do the following:

1. Start restore using Snap-Restore
    2. OS restored - computer reboots
    3. While Snap-Restore is restoring the other files I start the capture software and record.

Is that possible? How much system ressources does Snap-Restore need?
    I am using a RAID-0 system, 1 GB Ram and 3,4 GHz cpu.
    Is this enough to make such an multithreading?

Thank you for any help!

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One troll and advertisement removed from this thread. I certainly hope any future posts can remain on-topic.

3. MartinH

Has nobody an answer to my questions or to some of them? o_O

4. MartinH

Another question:
    I have mailed the German Acronis Sales because of using the coupon code "CHRISTMAS" for buying a TI 9 upgrade.

They just answered:

"Acronis True Image 9.0 upgrade costs 29,95 €"
    (translated to English from German)

This answer isn't very nice.
    I know what it regularly costs.
    I wanted to know if it is possible to buy a German version using this coupon code.
    o_Oo_O

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

TI 9 includes a file-based backup and restore, but, and like my butt, this is a big but, one cannot RESTORE a SYSTEM from the file-based backup. An image backup must be used to restore a system.

The only explanation that pops into mind is that the TI file-based backup does not handle the "system state" for a windows system.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MartinH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, Acronis True Image 9.0 supports file-based backup in rescue mode.

Yes, it's true. You can start the work in seconds after the restoration is launched. The restoration will be continued in the background.

Please note that Acronis Snap Restore is currently available for image being restored from the Acronis Secure Zone only and it cannot be used if the image contains no operating system (a logical partition or disk image) or when restoring file archives.

Acronis Snap Restore finds the sectors in the image, containing system files, and restores these sectors first. Thus, the OS is restored and can be started in a very short run. Having started the OS, the user sees the folder tree with files, though file contents still is not recovered. Nevertheless, you can start working.

Please note that Acronis Snap Restore can restore an image without rebooting. If you open files or launch applications, Acronis Snap Restore drivers feel the system queries and restore the sectors that are necessary for the current operation.
    I would also like to mention that when Acronis Snap Restore begins to restore your system, it creates special bitmap.acr file in the root directory of your C drive. If there is no such a file, the restoration was successfully completed.

Yes, it's possible. However, we have not reproduced such a situation so if you use Acronis Snap Restore option, we recommend you to record your movie to another hard drive.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

I'm afraid that Christmas promotion is available only for English version of Acronis products.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As I recall, the documentation states, and this was confirmed in other threads, TI CANNOT restore a system from a file based backup, an image backup must be used.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  8. MartinH

I know that this isn't possible.

I have a question:
    I want to upgrade a TI 7.0 Personal from a magazine to version 9.
    (Then I can keep using my version 8 on another pc)

Will it be a full TI 9.0 then or something like a TI 9.0 Personal ?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MartinH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can upgrade Acronis True Image 7.0 Personal to Acronis True Image 9.0 without any problems. If you purchase Acronis True Image 9.0 Upgrade, you get the fully functional version.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase Acronis True Image 9.0 Upgrade.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.