Questions and Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rdenny, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdenny

rdenny Registered Member

I upgraded to TrueImage 9 back in December. I had to restore a tib archive from a large NTFS 250GB drive to an empty 80GB drive. I had made a bootable CD (but can't now, see below). I removed the (bad but bootable) 80GB system disk, replaced with an empty (identical) 80GB drive. My idea was to boot the CD and restore from my tib file which I made with the same version of TrueImage 9 just a few days before. Then my problems started. By the way I did this sort of thing with TrueImage 8 with no problems...

(1) The bootable CD failed to start in full mode (three long usb/irq-related error messages then halt!)

(2) The bootable CD started OK in "safe" mode (I never saw this option in TrueImage 8!). But then, when I selected restore and it started scanning the available drives and it got to my large disk (which has 2 NTFS partitions, one of which has all of my tib files on it), I immediately got a bunch of "failed to read sector xxxxxxxx". The large disk was NOT readable by the bootable CD-ROM! Bad news! I could not access my tib files when booted from the bootable CD. NOTE: That large drive is perfectly healthy! I validated the tib files while running in Windows 2000 from the (bad but bootable) system disk. See below - I finally got to the tib file and DID restore. But from the bootable CD, that drive and my tib files were INACCESSIBLE!

(3) OK, desperation set in. I removed my CD-ROM and replaced it with the empty 80GB drive to which I wanted to restore my tib, booted my working (but bad) system disk, let Windows install it as a hard drive, rebooted again, and voila! My new disk was online and visible from the disk manager.

(4) Well, now I am running Win2K off the old (bad) system disk, so I created partitions on it that match those on my system disk. Then I started TrueImage 9 and told it to restore the (now accessible) tib backups to the new disk's partitions. Fine. But what a royal PAIN! And I could not have recovered with the bootable CD, UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!! That makes TrueImage 9 useless to me!

As a result (and via other observations) I have some questions:

(1) What's up with the sector errors on the disk with my tibso_O My bootable CD is useless!

(2) Why can't I make a bootable CD? The boot CD burner function correctly recognizes my CD and knows there's a blank CD in it! But the instant I click OK, it pops up an Error burning... box. I NEVER saw that in TrueImage 8!!!!!

(3) An aside: When the bootable CD starts, I can't find any indication that locating tibs across the net is available.This was (and still is) a major reason I b ought TrueImage!!! After "upgrading" to 9, it's GONE! Could it be related to my not being able to boot the CD in "full" mode?

(4) Why would my TrueImage 8 bootable CD boot without any errors, yet the one I created with Trueimage 9 gives usb and unassigned irq errorso_O Too bad I dumped my TrueImage 8 boot CD!

Bottom line: TrueImage 9 is a giant step backwards for me! I can't make bootable CDs any more, I can't locate tib files across the network any more, and I can't boot the recovery CD normally any more. Could anything MORE go wrong?

I'd love to discover (with help from someone who is not into shooting in the dark) that I have made some simple mistakes. the one that REALLY makes me nervous is my inability to restore from tib files on my big disk when booted from the recovery CD. Again,this may be related to not being able to boot "normal" mode.

By the way, I unplugged everything from the USB bus and the CD still would not run in normal mode. The messages related to usb and unassigned IRQs.

Can anyone help me? or should I just dump TrueImage 9, ask for my money back, and go back to TrueImage 8 which worked just PERFECTLY! Including restoring across the net from a recovery CD.

2. rdenny

rdenny Registered Member

Well I tried a few tricks I saw here, and this combo worked for me: Kill Roxio drag to disk, leave the blank CD in an open drive, start TI-9 boot disk maker and let it close the CD drive. Dang! It works. I can burn boot disks. I never had to use such voodoo with V8 on the exact same systems for like a year!

It doesn't solve my real problems though - namely I can't get to info on the healthy large 250GB NTFS drive on IDE1/slave (disk 2) nor can I get the boot CD to run in normal mode, only safe. In safe, no network facilities, so I can't get to a TIB file across the net either. That leaves me with no options for emergency recovery of a crashed disk,

I've read through a lot of traffic here. Sorry if I missed the answers.

3. rdenny

rdenny Registered Member

Well shut mah mouth - After 3 error messages and no CD activity, I thought the normal boot was frozen. After nearly 5 minutes, the damned thing booted anyway. Now Ican't type in the errors because I'm looking at the normal/Linux boot screen. I did the trick of F11+ acpi=off noapic. More voodoo! But now, in normal mode, the net is visible and it can access my big drive!

OK, so I know the incantations. Acronis, can you smooth V9 out so it's a solig and quirk-less as 8 was? Thanks. At least I have a route to restore/recover now.

Thanks for everyone's posts here. I finally sifted out what I needed.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rdenny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

If you want to automate the process of adding quiet acpi=off noapic parameter, please submit a request for technical support. Please provide the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. Please also provide the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.