questions about XB machine

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ryan14, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

I have always been suspicious about XB. The thing that gave me a RED FLAG was I read in these forums a while ago that people here were saying that to sign up to XB you had to provide them with your REAL ph number. I don't know if this still the case or not? But fact remains that's the way it was before.

Steves posts are quite informative and he is quite knowledgeable, but at the same time it does seem rather Convenient for people here looking for VPN solutions / services. nothing personal against Steve tho just my opinion.

Like I have said in the past the only way to be sure is to run your own Proxy server / service.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Wow. outrageous claims again from the same scammer. Anyone want to see his amazing disappearing trick? Watch this:

Please provide the slightest bit of proof of any of your claims for log file sharing.

And now for the easy demolition of oldymin/privacy.li's false claims:

1. Here is my connection to the FBI, I posted it on my own blog. Summary: I told the FBI we don't and won't log, and we won't do so even if they ask nicely. With over 400 subpoenas/court orders/investigations, not a single user has ever had their data or identity turned over. Not one. This discussion was prior to the development of the Abuse Report Process Flow which clearly demonstrates how interaction with law enforcement will go.

2. Governments as clients while protecting joe sixpack? Yup! We don't discriminate with who buys identity protection services. You may recall that the Tor itself was created by US Naval Research Labs, they have a legitimate need for identity obfuscation and non-attribution. But lets abstract your claim: Just because a cop buys a donut from Krispy Kreme, i don't suspect Krispy Kreme of spying on their other customers for the cops.

3. I'm not bashing anyone's ideas unless they are incorrect, in which case I correct them as you are being corrected now, and were corrected earlier when you provided misinformed information on PPTP in another thread.

4. You've got a serious case of mistaken identity, adminus. I know you had something against Hiro of metropipe, but that was before I was even on the radar. While you were busy becoming enemies of metropipe, I had not yet even written Torpark, much less been picked up by XB. What you continually fail to understand is that XB and Metropipe used to have termination services performed by MeshMX who did server management. You seem to mistake people that work together or frequent the same establishment as being the same person. I have a friend from university who's house I go to often. 8 other people are friends of his, and go to his house as well. You, as the outcast, would see 8 people going to 1 place and assume it is all the same person. This is similar to how you claimed the entire member list of distributedcity were evil and underhanded people. You're a FUD spreader, and don't really have much understanding of the technology you are trying to sell, and without anything positive to say about your services, you're resorting to trying to be negative about others.

My credibility is solid. Just ask those that I interact with. I care strongly about anonymity and human rights, I develop privacy enhancing technologies, and I get to work with brilliant and rewarding people; and all of this is obvious in the work that I do. You produce nothing, keep coming back with different aliases on this site, pedaling fabricated stories, making claims with no proof, and then linking to your old allegations that have no proof either.

Just so you don't forget, I'll be waiting for your logging proof in your next reply.

3. oldymin

oldymin Registered Member

i agree, and i do admit i have/had a problem in the past with metropipe/xerobank about a transaction, i try not to bring that up when discussing these issues, leaving that to lawyers. But i'm a human too.

Anyway, i do see sometimes good pieces of information from steve which is no problem for me. But i'm just like other people a bit tired of his marketing tactics and claims while never leaving an opportunity to promote his service over the back of wilderssecurity and other services who are not here to answer his allegations. I used to have an account with findnot but they disappeared all of a sudden, still wonder what happened there. But i am seriously worried that some one like steve is trying to make his service look like bulletproof while many things indicate the opposite. For me xerobank is a bit better than a service offering pptp vpn connections, but nothing more.

4. SteveTX

You don't give any of your private information to XeroBank. You give your billing information to our payment processor. Check it out for yourself. Further, we don't have a way to associate who owns what account or which traffic originated from the account. We haven't really debuted this technology we developed, but we'll get around to it. It's called VAULTS.

Convenient is exactly it. Why shouldn't it be? Here is a better question: why aren't other providers of services coming out and talking about what they do and how they do it?

I disagree as I wrote in the Anonymity Myths, but to each his own I guess.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

So are you saying that there was never a time in the passed that people had to provide their REAL ph number to use any of XB services??

I was talking about running a proxy server with many other users as well not just 1 person yourself using it.

6. oldymin

Well steve, you know i don't like you and you don't like me, but i can't be 2 people at the same time so if you have a problem with this adminus then it only adds to the rest of the issues about you going on, that's all i can say about it.

If you want to talk clean without lowering yourself to street-thug mentality on promoting your service then do so and i will try to do the same. I like to see a clean non-biased forum when reading here, i don't want to keep bumping with every post and day into your promotion of xerobank with every question asked.

I'm glad you posted the link so at least that is a positive sign.

Can you comment on the following ?

- What i'm worried about is how can you claim clients are anonymous but at the same time you can work with the fbi etc..to catch people abusing your services if the fbi etc tells you ? or hands you a subpoena.

- Panama will protect your company but yet you live in the u.s with your teammembers or some ? Wouldn't it be easy under the patriot act, homeland security etc ... to get to you ? Force you ? gag-order so you won't be able to inform your clients that the systems are all monitored by LE ?

- Why do you keep bashing other services while they can't defend themselves here ? Isn't it enough to keep a clean discussion about for example the strong/weak sides of pptp etc instead of declaring you are the only service in the world who is bulletproof ? Don't you know there is no such thing is bulletproof and 100 % anonymity ? Maybe Tor might come close to it, but not a commercial service like yours or most others.

- Why should people just believe you and the rest are all liars ? Do you have proof ? Can you open up your network for auditing by thirdparties, pen-testing so we can check the results ?

Eitherway, if you want to talk clean that's fine by me, but try less spamming here and try to build your own forum up, i'll be glad to register there to discuss with you some more on these issues.

7. SteveTX

No, of course you never had to give us your phone number. Not ever. That wouldn't be very anonymous. :)

If you supplied a fake phone number to the payment processor and they called to verify the cardholder and it was no good, your order would get canceled. That would probably be what you are referring to.

Oh. Well, yes, kind of. But you need multiple servers since a single server can have netflow analysis done on it to tie all incoming traffic to the outgoing traffic. complicated stuff.

8. arran

arran Registered Member

well I'm sure read some where in here that you had to give ph number.

So does XB accept anonymous payment methods like e gold? or is it just credit cards?

9. SteveTX

I'm still waiting on proof of your claims for logging, oldymin, even if you have toned down your rhetoric.

XB doesn't work with the FBI and never has. I've worked with the FBI myself discussing types of malware design and network threats.

Already addressed completely.

They're free to come on here. Nobody is stopping them. It is very telling that they don't. I'll challenge any service who uses bad technology and tries to fool their users into claiming more than they provide. PPTP services especially. PPTP over the internet == not anonymous. Want proof? August 1st deanonymizer is released. Another free opensource tool that XeroBank developed.

Perhaps because everything I say about anonymity is true, and I have proof and substantiation for nearly all of it. Perhaps because I develop open-source anonymity software and privacy enhancing technologies. Perhaps because I am engaged and interactive with people, and happy to answer difficult questions.

Outmoded. Our servers are all FIPS-140 military security compliant, and we are moving to a decentralized trust model where trusted parties will be able to operate entry nodes into our network, preventing us ultimately from being able to track the incoming source of traffic. Check our blog.

10. SteveTX

We've always accepted cash, money order, cheques, and gold, credit card is the only instantaneous one. You just need to contact payments@xerobank.com for an arrangement.

11. oldymin

I almost thought this was alice in wonderland, who needs here to give proof ? the people who try to trust you and your services or you as XB to convince them ?

You are XB and even if you weren't exactly XB but just a diehard salesman
    for XB you're tainted because of your FBI cooperation and history. How can
    XB allow you to be part of them in any way or any sane company ?

I think most of those services have their own websites and blogs, if any, to
    discuss their business. Unlike you who is riding on wilderssecurity to make a couple of sales.
    You seriously expect other businesses to come all the here to bash you back like you do ?
    Come on steve, i expected a better answer.

It's still no answer on why would ppl trust you more than any other service ?
    Because you post alot here ? Because you cite theories which you can find all over the internet ? Because you scream loud enough ? Please give me a better anwer cause "i want to believe".

Also, those "trust parties"; why would we want to trust them ? Can you give proof why we can trust them 100 % ? What makes them more reiliable humans than all other competition ?

Could you produce an official certificate of the FIPS-140 military security compliant setup ? I hope you had a certification authority do this so it's no problem to post it on the XB website, right steve ? :) Here is an official listing but i don't see xerobank on it: http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/1401vend.htm
    Or in case you do it under a vendor of that list, please inform us so we can be sure you are really compliant.

From what i can conclude, steve, is that you're alot of talk but no walk. Boasting, screaming and citing all over the place but no single shred of proof of anything you claim to have/be. Do you really think if you're an inactive or talkative member of some initiatives that it is enough credibility to make all these bold claims ? Or you paid off some poor bast'rds to submit their opensource projects to you and use their name to your advantage ?

Why did you suddenly remove the section meant for governments on the XB website ? Did that mean you stopped working with governments but at the same time trying to protect the little man from those same governments ?

I think you'd find yourself more comfortable if you acted seriously and less in the marketing-roll you fitted yourself. It's time some one confronted you with the right questions instead of the salestalk and "difficult words" you're throwing at newbies and others trying to put them in "dummy-mode". I hope to see you post more good info but without the b.s and marketing of xb using wilderssecurity as your salesforce.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

Stay on topic or don't post. It's as simple as that.

Leave personal animosity at the door as well. This is a forum focused on technical matters, not personalities.

This thread was about the XB machine. I have neither the time nor inclination to edit this thread back to something nominally connected to the topic. Hence, thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.