Questions about Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Defcon, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I apologize for another Returnil thread but I could not find the answers using search.

1. How does it affect the bootloader in Vista? I have 2 entries right now (for Vista and Norton Ghost rescue) in bcdedit. I don't want anything overwriting that and installing itself.

2. What happens to data that needs to be updated? e.g. Windows has to update the prefetch cache on each boot as it tries to optimize the load. Antivirus and various other apps update themselves. Apps need to update their AppData folders. From what I read I have to commit these changes every time before shutdown otherwise they will be lost (or in case of a crash). Is there a way to not virtualize certain folders?

3. Is there a way to install an app without first turning it off and rebooting. Like saying - persist all changes made by this installer. How does it handle apps that require a reboot to finish (as in most system utilities)

Do I need the premium version or is the free one enough? Is there a performance difference between the two?

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

1) I don't think it modifies the bootloader, though I'm not 100% positive.

2) Yes, you will have to commit those changes. You can selectively exclude files/folders from the disk protection, however. I haven't used this feature, so I'm not sure how it works.

3) Returnil allows you to save a session even if the disk protection is on. All you have to do is save the changes before rebooting. So, if an installation requires a reboot all you have to do is save the changes.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi, AFAIK Returnil dont let you save software installs (registry,drivers.services,folders) on next reboot,it only can save data created in current session. ;)

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Really? I thought that if you save the changes, everything will be saved.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes, its obscure how to explain '' total session save '' but Returnil and for that matter other ISR's have no functions to save installs on next reboot.

In VM's you can save sessions through out reboots for testing softwares,if you screw up,just revert back or delete the snapshot.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have to becare about defining ISR's FDISR, Rollback, Eaz-FIX are ISR's where you can indeed install and reboot.

Returnil,Shadowdefender, etc are sort of ISR's where you can't install anything that requires a reboot as part of installation.

Pete

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes,your right indeed they can save,a bit disturbing to leave them out as a mean for save at reboot,sorry for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.