Questions about Hosts file

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by aigle, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Problems with viewing the previous page via the back click button:

FAQ for MVPS hosts, see question #4 in link below. I never added the sites to the restricted zone in IE7. That seems the thing to do.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Button

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

acr1965 - I do not experience, th back button blues you've referenced.

Rico

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Did you possibly have those sites in your restricted list?

And aigle, maybe you should just give it a try and see how it works. Maybe the back issue will not be there for you either. MVPS hosts certainly gets rid of ads. I am using SuperAdBlocker right now and it seems to be a nice program, especially with the added bonus of SuperAntiSpyware realtime shield. I'll probably trial Ad Muncher after my 30 days are up and then choose between the two. But I can see where it would be good to kill two birds with one stone with SAB.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

It is 'recommended' to turn off dns caching if you use large hosts files - which then results in much greater bandwidth usage, because you will forward every query for IP translation to your ISP rather than use the local list.

Ad-blocking? You should do it at browser level. Example, Adblock.

Mrk

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

Agile - from MVPS:

see: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Note

This is why I do not experience the back button thing, It's been awhile since I placed "DNS Client" to manual, I had forgotten.

Mrk - If your saying turning off DNS Client, will slow your surfing speed down, perhaps technically it does, but i cannot precieve the difference btwn. on/off. You could also switch to a faster DNS server (than your ISP) something like 'OpenDNS.'

Take Care
    Rico

PS - Agile give MVPS a try, if you dont like it just delete it. Note windows has a Host file, it's normally empty though.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The perceived slowdown on your side is minimal. The servers are the ones that will suffer from extra - unneeded - queries. All because you block sites that are simply ... unimportant. Who goes to pokerads.com or such? And if so, ads can be blocked on a higher level, through browser, without any side effects...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.