Questions about Compressed Files & Folders

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dja2k, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I've been noticing more and more files highlighted in blue meaning they are compressed by Windows XP. Yet this files and folders aren't old, so I don't know why its doing that.

Searched here on this topic and couldn't find anything. Went to Google and found that compression is normal and safe. But to disabled it to delete key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress Old Files

Now my question is: This compressed files would be longer to access compared to uncompressed ones wouldn't they? So should I reverse the operation and make all my files uncompressed?

dja2k

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Yes, compressed files take longer to open, because the system fistly decompressed them, then opens them, then when you close them it compressed them again. I think compressed files should be used only when you really need space.

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks for that link GlobalForce and sorry about that, yes I have an NTFS partition. Also these aren't moved files. I don't compress any files myself, its XP that is doing that and recently I see it messing a lot with Program Files, not the folders, but files inside them. Oh And yes emperordarius I kinda knew they take longer to run, it was a rhetorical question.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. GlobalForce

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay GlobalForce, you are pointing me to stuff I already know. I didn't make myself clear though so better state my question:

Why would XP be compressing my files if they aren't even 50 days old (default compression limit)? Example 7-zip got updated yesterday August 13, 2008 and in the screen shot, you will see they are compresses already.

dja2k

Attached Files:

• 7zip.jpg
      7zip.jpg
      File size:
      84.1 KB
      Views:
  7. GlobalForce

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

No I don't have disk corruption as ScanDisk doesn't find any errors.

Yes I use CCleaner. - Do you think that has something to do with it?

No I don't have disk space problems, it has sufficient.

I'd rather eliminate the possibility of having compressed files and folders by deleting the registry key I mentioned.

dja2k

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The creator of Ultimate Defrag makes the claim that compressed files are quicker to load because it takes less time to decompress than it takes to read the full uncompressed file from disk. That would not surprise me, assuming the compression ratio is over ~50%.

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Interesting, can this statement be backup up? Has anyone seen anything or anyone else saying the same thing?

dja2k

11. GlobalForce

Compressed, then uncompressed, find out for yourself. Get creative or open a support ticket with MS, you're a paying customer.

"This compressed files would be longer to access compared to uncompressed ones wouldn't they?" - "Why would XP ..."

12. GlobalForce

So have you taken action or were you planning to leave it on the back burner?

"I'd rather eliminate the possibility of having compressed files and folders by deleting the registry key I mentioned."

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I actually deleted that registry key that I mentioned and uncompressed all the files on my C:\ Drive. Just to get back some space after the uncompressed drive, I went and did 2 things:

1st - I deleted the contents of the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder

2nd - I went manually and compressed only two main folders in the C:\Windows Directory which was the hidden Installer folder and the ServicePackFiles folder.

That's it for now, thanks for the help.

dja2k

14. GlobalForce

Thank's for following up. I'll keep you posted if something develop's.

S

15. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you have a dllcache, you can compress that too.

I use a program called NTFSRatio that gives you a directory listing with compression ratios listed in the column view. You can compress a folder of files, then select and decompress files that fall below whatever threshold you set.

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks Espresso, those are some handy tools! I don't have a dllcache folder which may have belonged to these file categories that I deleted manually:

System Backup Files, Backup Driver Files, Backup DLL Files, and System Help Files.

Those four categorized files saved me about 515 MB. If for any reason you need those files again, I found out you can get them from the XP CD itself.

Another folder that I am thinking of compressing is the C:\Windows\Symbols folder which is used for debugging and would save me another 500 MB compressed. I don't know why I installed that in the past, I would remove it altogether but I don't know if you just delete the folder cause there is no uninstall info anywhere.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.