Questions about ActiveX and Quarantined items

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by newbie2247, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I am new to Vista Premium, forums, ESET Nod32 and not patricularly savvy to all things computer and Internet related, so don't laugh at my dumb questions. OK, go ahead, laugh. :)

I checked my add-ons in IE7 and found approx. 30 ActiveX files. I almost had a heart attack! :eek: I heard that these things can be malicious so with 30 of them, how do I pick and choose which ones to delete or disable, seriously? 99%of them say that they are from HP, Sun & MS but I'm sure that means diddley squat. A lot of them run "without permission". I tell you, I am scared to death here and hope that Nod32 is able to protect me which brings me to my second question.

This week I peeked in my log files and other ones. When I went into my quarantined files, I was again shocked to find over half a dozen files in there. One of them was from this week. Talk about a surprise. o_O

What do I do with these files? How long do I keep them there? I submit everything to ESET Nod32 automatically but have never heard back from them. I guess they stay there forever, right? Or is there something else I am supposed to do?

My hope is that ESET is protecting me from them doing anything bad. Can anyone here please tell me if this is so?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Most of them are Microsoft own things . You may have never seen them before if you have used IE6 or earlier versions on XP or older OS. This appears in IE7 only . You kind of have better control which is kind of scary for home users , but it is normal . Here , check :

add-ons_in_IE7.png

They can be as malicious as life , hope you get it ;)

Sure NOD32 protects against anything malicious and there is really no need to panic!

Simple and short => Nothing

As long as you want to . They are just safe copies of malicious files which NOD32 has killed before.

Yes , it is.

3. newbie2247

Thank you for your quick reply.

I understand you totally on the quarantined stuff, but still not crystal clear about the ActiveX stuff.

What, if anything, did you advise? (Or if anyone else out there has advise, I welcome it.) You said something about malicious which agrees with what I have read. But I don't know how to spot it and so forth. Also, don't know if I need to take any action at all in hopes that ESET Nod32 is or will be taking care of it for me.

for example, say I have 12 bad ones - is ESET taking care of it so that nothing gets destroyed, corrupted and worse?

Thanks again!!!!

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

About ActiveX add-ons :

I say that if they are malicious most likely they will not be present in the list because EAV/NOD32 would have already killed them.

I want to tell you that there are many legitimate active-x shown and that you should not worry and take no action :thumb:

5. newbie2247

Thank you. You've been a huge and fantastic help and put to rest my concerns. I just want you to know I appreciate that.

Take care and have a good day. :)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thank you !

I appreciate your appreciation ! :thumb: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.