question regarding javascript

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mr mister, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

hi,
    i don't know what this javascript is,but is it alright if i disable it? i noticed that yahoo mail still works without javascript enabled,and the interface is much cleaner without it.
    i know that some sites may be inaccessible without javascript,but from the security point of view,is it safer with or without javascript?
    what would you recommend?can i leave it disabled?
    thank you.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What browser are you using?
    Mrk

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Disable it if at all possible. If you must have it turned on, have someone else access the site first so that they will be the sacrificial guinea pig. :rolleyes:

But really, I would avoid running scripts unless there was no other choice. The website also has be to one of those "must use" websites and not an unfamiliar site.

4. mr mister

firefox

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Then you can try the Noscript extension. Allows you disable javascript and many other plugins, and then you can allow these on per-site basis. Very convenient, safe and fast.
    Mrk

6. mr mister

thank you Mrkvonic & ccsito

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

One of the other things about NoScript, is that when clicked on you get a view of just what sites would be running scripts on the page without it. The number is sometimes quite staggering.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

NoScript is the very reason for my going back to Firefox from Opera (Opera too can be tweaked to disable javascript, but not so conveniently as in NoScript).

The problem of bad scripts still persists though, even with NoScript because if you want a particular site to work you have to allow certain scripts and therefore you might get unwittingly infected (without even noticing anything for a while).

A solution is not to allow any scripts if you know the site is potentially dangerous. Even better is to run in a sandbox/snapshot system, once you're done, good or bad the session is deleted usually with a simple reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.