question regarding IP address

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ice_princess, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice_princess

ice_princess Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible for 2 individuals to share the exactly similar IP address. The situation is that there are 2 people at my friend's website claiming that they are two different people who happen to share the exactly same IP address. They logged in several times and had switched to at least 2 different IP addresses, and each one of the IP matched exactly for the two different login IDs. My friend is suspecting that they are the same person but he is not sure. Please advise.

iceprincess

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi ice_princess,

They would have to share the same internet connection to have the same public IP address. So it is possible that there are two individuals posting from the same Local Network on that forum.
    The same would happen if a collegae of mine would start posting here, since we are all connected through one internetserver.

Regards,

Pieter

3. ice_princess

ice_princess Registered Member

thank you, Pieter! :) But what are the chances that two people who don't know each other and have the exactly similar IP address through AOL internet service?

iceprincess

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, the chance is very good because of the way the AOL network is laid out. People on AOL generally get private addresses used within AOL and the gateway out of the AOL network passes through a finite number of servers... People often appear to have the same IP address when they come from AOL and hit a website on the Internet.

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

wich would in essence, creating several people to have the same IP since their being directed through the same door.

6. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Could also be accessing a cached copy.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Does that mean then that if you use AOHell (Something I wouldn't touch with three barge poles tied together) and some idiot decides to become a legend in his own mind, could he get you and ten other peoples IP addresses banned from the Internet or from any particular Forum because you all appear to be the same person?

Cochise, :cool:

8. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Yes. But people are smart enough to avoid this usually when banning dialup ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.