Question re: Webroot Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrm3601, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

I've been using SuperAntiSpyware Professional for a few months now. A friend of mine bought me the latest version of Spy Sweeper and I've installed it. Now, I run SAS only on demand.

Two observations:

1. I could be wrong, but I think that Spy Sweeper catches more cookies than does SAS (but even if this is correct I don't know how important it is).
    2. When I run Spy Sweeper and I move the mouse such that the screen saver goes off I notice that the entire Spy Sweeper image goes black for a few seconds (and then it returns to normal)

I also use Registry Mechanic to occasionally scan the registry. Every time I run it it indicates some 110 errors for Spy Sweeper. I don't know if this is serious or not.

In any case, I'm thinking of removing Spy Sweeper from my pc.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

1: Cookies are not dangerous.
    2: Its a bug in the program maybe because you deleted some files with .reg cleaner.

Extra: On personal oppinion SAS is more bang for buck then spysweeper and in most test has a better detection rate.

Advice: After spysweeper subscription runs out get the Pro version of SAS and you will find it alot better for your needs :)

Afterthought: Spysweeper takes up alot of memory compaired to SAS.

3. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

Thanks 3DFireStarteR.

You confirmed my guess about Spy Sweeper. I'll be removing it from my pc and I'll buy the pro version of SuperAntiSpware Professional. What about adding Malwarebyte's anti-malware as on demand scanner?

Thanks again.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Is the PRO version of SAS really better than the free version ?
    If I'm not mistaken PRO provides real-time protection.
    I presume you have an AV ?
    If you have a good suite (see av-comparatives.org), you don't need an additional antispyware application.

Btw, I tried MBAM once, mostly out of curiousity. After reboot it seemed MBAM had eaten a file or a folder (message), although I didn't get such messages after subsequent reboots. I restored an image anyway. :p
    MBAM is said to be good at removing rogue security software, not sure about what else ...

Always do a custom install and check for any toolbars ...

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

At $9.99 on special offer for life-time its worth it i think. Also i have used MBAM pro and normal and i would say don't buy pro on MBAM because its still in its early stages and useing it on demand is good enough.

"$9.99 you can get through the free version on one of the pages"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.