QUESTION RE: MS updates to Win7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Just inherited a good computer running Win7 BUT its prior owner did not install any updates for quite a long while. So there is a backlog of 20 uninstalled "important updates." 1 is dated 2014, 16 are 2016, 3 are 2018.

Is there a website anywhere that lists the truly TRULY essential (& *safe*) updates for Win7?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If it was me, I would just install every update. It has been my experience, with many different computers, over many years that is very rare for an update to cause any issues. That is why, I just blindly install every update and have never actually taken the time to wait for feedback on updates, so that I could pick and choose, what to install.

While it is common to see posts here, about issues with certain updates, in my case, that has been very rare.

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Woodys windows blog but it is not a list

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Few weeks ago I reinstalled Windows 7 on my friend's computer and I installed all Important and Recommended updates and skipped Optional. I didn't encounter any problems, so that would be my advise also. If you're not sure, you can take system image before you update it.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

On Seven I always installed only security updates, except one or two other updates that fixed determined issues - but I don't remember which. Also because in Seven Winsxs grows continually, and I don't see the need to contribute..... never had issues, but I can't say if it is equal for all systems.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks to all. I'm off & running. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.