Question re: GeSWall vs. DefenseWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fluteman, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluteman

fluteman Registered Member

Hi all,

While not new to security, I'm new to Wilder forums and just started to learn about with virtualization and HIPS software. After reading a bunch of threads both here and other web sites, I think that a HIPS app would be better for my needs then a sandbox.

I've narrowed this down to GeSWall (freeware version) and DefenseWall, hence my questions - what are the differences between these two apps (aside from price)? and which one has the better "track record" of keeping the nasties locked away from critical system resourceso_O?

My current defense consists of a Watchguard SOHO firewall, Kaspersky ISS 7 (with Proactive Defense enabled), along with SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster. These keep most of the stuff out, but not necessarily those things that I might accidentally invite in through web surfing and file downloads.

All advise welcome...

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the simple way is to trial both and see what fits your needs.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Good choices.
    As trjam suggests trialing both is the way to go.
    You can't go wrong with either one IMO.
    (Don't count out the paid version of GesWall)

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It seems a bit unfair to put a freeware version of GeSWall up against a paid software like DefenseWall. Isn't the playing field more level if you were to compare GeSWall Pro Edition to DefenseWall? I think so.

This page will show you the enhancements that come with GeSWall Pro Edition. I have tried DefenseWall and for whatever reason, could not get it to operate properly on my computers. I also had difficulty understanding it, although I read many comments here at Wilders from folks who say it is simpler than GeSWall.

I don't agree. I find GeSWall Pro Edition to be easy to use and to learn. Very few pop ups to deal with compared to DefenseWall, and great configurability. I have had good experiences with tech support when I needed it, both from Brian (the developer) and from the forum. The forum seems like a bit of a ghost town, but I always get my questions answered there, so I don't mind if there are not a bunch of posts there.

I feel like installing GeSWall was the best thing I could have done to secure my computers. :)

6. fluteman

fluteman Registered Member

Thanks Page42 and thanks to Antarctica, LoneWolf, and trjam, as well.

I agree that comparing the free ver of GeSWall isn't a fair comparison - just trying to get an idea of the differences between the two tools. I like the idea of trying each one out and deciding based on those results (I do this for most other types of apps already anyway) :cool:

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I think the question would be better suited if restated.
    Wilders frowns upon threads asking for others
    to state which product is best. And I think Wilders is right to do this.
    Perhaps it would be acceptable if posters would just state what they feel is the positive and negative about the product they use.
    This would not be a comparison. You should still trial both.
    But this would give you some info on what others like or dislike about one or the other. Not both from the same poster.
    And of course I could be wrong. Which is not unusual. And then the moderators will make me suffer yet again.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Why you didn't call me for support?

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Ilya's support is always outstanding ..... quick and effective. You have riased a ticket ....

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I am not in any way implying that your support is not good. I just couldn't get the software to run on my computers. We did exchange more than a few emails, and then your email servers went down for a few days. I am sure that the problems were due to my inability to understand how the program works. I had to uninstall it and move on. Again, I am not saying your support is not good. :)

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Programs in the untrusted list run in a strengthened limited user environment (default all internet facing applications), downloaded programs and files by those untrusted applications are get the status untrusted.

Clicking with right mouse on a downloaded file to change the status or . .

I agree that GW shows untrusted files in a border (you can choose color yourself) in an easier way and Ilya chooses his own route in accepting feedback

It would be more clear when right click context menu would show:
    - run as untrusted
    - change status to untrusted
    - allow to be modified by untrusted also

- run as trusted
    - change status to trusted
    - allow to be modified by trusted only

But then again his own ideas are the origin of great programs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

look, I am pro-Geswall but I am sold on the fact that either Geswall or Defensewall are better products then any suite on the market. Ilya provides great support and Geswall is watching and listening, just not as visible as Ilya. Go with either and you wont go wrong.

13. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

The major difference I think...
    is the Price :)

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually the price is about on par if you break it down. Again, both are good and 100 members telling you which is better is never going to settle the fact of your knowing, until you, actually trial them both.

15. Kees1958

Theres is no versus for me. I have lisences for both and use the one with the temporary competitive advantage. :) :) :)

16. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

What about SandboxIE??

17. Kees1958

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.