Question on using more AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Newby, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newby

Newby Registered Member

High,

Although a relative newby myself, I am now setting up a new PC (Windows 7 x64) for a friend who is an absolute noob on PC security. When I visited him to get his mail Outlook Express folders (in order to check correct conversion to Mail), I noticed the following:

a) Router did not had a password for Admin/User
    b) No Wireless encryption was used
    c) Default Admin of his XP had no password

At least he ran an actual version of AVG Free plus an updated XP SP3

New Setup
    - Windows 7 FW (he is after a router/firewal)
    - UAC on Default, with a remove rihts (through regedit) to change UAC values in the Registry for this user to prevent UAC disabling by malware
    - Windows Defender with the check boxes "On Execution check" and "Check services and drivers" and "Check downloads" disabled (options number 5, 6, 7 of the real time protection).
    - Avast 5 with file shield only, setting everything to first try to re-pair, second put in virus chest, third delete
    - AVG LinkScanner Free (do not show taskbar)
    - KeyScrambler for IE8 Free (show KS screen left under position)

I will lock the home page and search engine and ability to activate/deactive browser plug ins through the registry. I will disable smartscreen filter (since AVg does that).

I also use Kees1958 download protection tweak (with reg files to switch ON and OFF in start menu).

I have browsed the internet for three days now and do not have ran into any trouble (since people always say one should not use several AV's), but I reconned
    - Windows Defender looks at registry changes
    - Avast 5 looks at file write/open/executes
    - AVG Linkscanner looks at weblinks/incoming webpages

So there should not be any overlap or conflict. Friday evening I will bring his PC to him.

Any feedback of anyone knowing of conflicts (Windows Defender, Avast, AVG Linkscanner) would be appreciated.

Newby

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

That's good setup.

But consider removing AVG link scanner and replace it with Browser defender .

3. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Nikanth,

Thanks for your response. Could you tell why I should consider Browser Defender. I am a bit confused, beause Ako's list only mentiones AVGLS and Finjan as active potectors. Whle the release note of Broswer Defender states that is has enhanced exploit detection. I know that AVG LS protects against exploits.

So any backgound info would be welcome

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

i have used all these
    * Web of Trust
    * McAfee SiteAdvisor
    * Web Security Guard
    * Browser Defender
    *AVG LS
    * Finjan
    * Link extend
    I entered some malicious pages i know, but AVG didnt give me any warnings.

I like Browser defender. SiteAdvisor , WOT .
    But site Advisor made some system slowdowns.(9yr old pc)
    WOT requires active internet connection always.My broadband connection requires username and password for logging in .So it blocked my ISP page.

Browser defender is very good in my opinion.

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I'd wait till they fix the Google Search bug before you switch to browser defender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.