Question On NOD32 And E-mail Scanning

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Graystoke, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

It's very possible that this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find anything during a search.

I have a question about e-mail scanning in Outlook Express. I am running the latest version of NOD32 on XP Home/SP2. If I would happen to receive an e-mail with an infected attachment, I would assume that an AV with an e-mail scanner, for example KAV or NAV, would detect the attachment before I opened it. With NOD32, that attachment would have to be opened before NOD32 detected it? Is this correct?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Registered Member

No, NOD32 does have email scanner (component called IMON).
    It will check incoming POP3/IMAP emails befor ethey are opened.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks RejZoR. That's good to know. For some reason I thought the e-mail had to be opened for NOD to detect it. Thanks for setting me straight on this. :)

4. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

This is the case with AV scanners without email scanning! The scanner activates when opening an infected attachment.

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Actually, IMON does scan POP3 and HTTP at the network level, but I do not think that it scans IMAP. In the case of IMAP, the attachement will be caught by AMON when it is opened.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32 doesn't have support for IMAP :(

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct.

Cheers :D

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Registered Member

WHatever, i was talking from my head. Ppl don't use IMAP anyway as it's mostly common in corporate/enterprise environments, not home usage.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Anyway!?

Depends...

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

If I rememeber (don't use it myself) Hotmail + Outlook/Outlook Express = IMAP

11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

AFAIK, Hotmail / OE - Outlook uses WebDAV?

12. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

From EMON FAQ section:{"EMON also works with Microsoft Outlook 2000 (or newer) when using the MAPI, POP3 or IMAP protocols to connect to with Microsoft Exchange and other mail servers"}. In case I'm ever on a TV game show at the million dollar question level, what's the "real truth" on IMAP and this EMON FAQ info?

13. alglove

alglove Registered Member

EMON has the ability to scan Outlook e-mail as it enters and leaves Outlook, as well as within the Outlook folders themselves. For this reason, EMON does not care about how the e-mail gets there, be it via POP3, IMAP4, Microsoft Exchange, or anything else you can think of.

14. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

My email provider is Apple. I subscribe to their .mac service. I have an iMac in the Kitchen, iMac in the bedroom, iBook for the garden when I'm having a beer and a smoke, a Windows Laptop protected by NOD32 for out and about at work and my office PC protected by KAV. For all of these to have email and remain in sync I rely on IMAP protocol.

Now, my Vaio notebook has NOD32 and it works very well. It's a mobile processor with buckets of RAM (2GB) and having a lite solution is important for me. My email client on windows machines is The Bat!. For anyone who hasn't used the bat you should check it out. Is there a possibility that ESET developers will add IMAP support to a later build/version of NOD32 antivirus system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S :OT, Was the ESET blog abondoned due to lack of interest or lack of time or some other reason?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.