Question on installing IE-SPYAD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Peaches4U, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

o_O Well, I have gone to the site provided for updates but it appears that I can only do a full download again .... am I correct in assuming this. I am a bit confused in how this is all done - do I uninstall everything first and then install another download - does it contain the updates?? :doubt: Sorry to sound "thick" but my eyes have crossed from reading so I thought it best I ask instead. Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Peaches4U,

I'm assuming you are asking specifically about the IE-SpyAd component noted in the original update alerts thread(link). If not, please clarify your question. If so...

IE-SpyAd is meant to be downloaded complete (full) each time it is updated. You can download either a ZIP version or an EXE version from this page:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Scroll down a bit on the page and use either the .EXE or .ZIP links located there. (See the top part of the image attached below. For myself, I click on the "IE-SPYAD.ZIP" link as that is the version I prefer to use.)

When you extract the files within the kit, you can remove the previous version of IE-SpyAd by doucle-clicking on the file called "ie-ads-uninst.reg" which is located in the sub-folder "old". Running this file removes all the items that were added to your IE restricted zone list by the previous install of IE-SpyAd.

Once you've removed this old version, you can install the new version by double clicking the file "ie-ads.reg" from the main folder. This will add to your IE restricted zone all the entries in IE-SpyAd (which includes all the newest updates that were just added along with all other previous entries).

These two files are the main ones you'd usually use when you upgrade IE-SpyAd following each new release. As you can see from the lower part of the image below, there are several other files in the kit, including some .txt files that explain all about how to use IE-SpyAd, plus some files related to the adult sites blocking list.

I hope this helps to better explain it,
    LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:-* Thank you LWM for your quick response. My question was whether or not I needed to uninstal and re-instal in order to update. You answered beautifully and confirmed what I thought was to be done but was not absolutely positive. The other part that I was unsure of was what & how to uninstal - your explanation is very understandable ... thanks and muchly appreciated. My brain is now working full speed ahead and not in reverse. Have a great day!! Peaches :cool:

4. Skookum Narrows

Skookum Narrows Registered Member

Good Morning,

I installed IE Spyad on May 12, and being a new user of computers, have realized I have not been installing the updates correctly. Now, I know what to do from the above thread.

But, my question is, where have all those downloads of updates been deposited in my computer? If I handle the latest update properly will it take care of everything?
    Thanks for help with this.

S.N. ;)

5. LowWaterMark

Hi S.N. :)

Each release of IE-SpyAd is complete in and of itself. If you missed some along the way, it doesn't matter. If you download the latest version and install it as described above, you'll have all the protections that the author of the product thinks we should all have.

You don't need to worry about any previous versions you have manually downloaded, and since there is no automated download associated with IE-SpyAd, there won't be any files on your system, hidden away some where, unless you yourself downloaded them from the author's website.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

6. Skookum Narrows

Hi LowWaterMark,

Thanks for responding.

I think I have to worry. I've downloaded all those updates...yep...from May 16 to June 12. Yesiree.... unzipped the little devils, too. Let's see...that's 10 downloads x 10 files... hmmm, 100 files and where are they? :eek: . I think I'm going to need some help with this goof up :oops: . Look forward to hearing from you.

S.N. :D

7. LowWaterMark

Ah, I see what you mean. ;)

Actually, I think there is an easy solution. Go back to his website and download the latest file. Which version are you using, the .exe or .zip file? If it's the .exe, when you run it, it'll show you the image below and it has a default location already entered. So, do whatever you normally do, but just look at the location it shows...

When you've finished the process, open Windows Explorer and goto the location shown (perhaps c:\ie-spyad\) and take a look. Since the files are named the same in each release of IE-SpyAd, the chance is good you only have a few files there as they probably over wrote the newer ones each time.

Even if you use the .zip version, your unzipping tool will give you some default location when you extract the new IE-SpyAd file - so just go there, look and cleanup if necessary. :cool:

Attached Files:

8. Skookum Narrows

Dum...de, dum, dum... Let's see what shall I do. Should I clean up my IE Spyad mess or should I weed whack? :rolleyes:
    The sun is shining... weed whack it is.

LowWaterMark, I think I'll tackle this dilemma tonight when all is quiet and there are no distractions. In the meantime, would you be interested in hearing about my problems with SpywareBlaster and, if so, where would you like me to post it? If I'm jumping into this forum, I might as well make a splash. However, the tide is out right now and the chuck has reached the low water mark. :blink:. (I live on the coast and can see the ocean from my window.)

S.N.

9. LowWaterMark

Being in New England (USA) where it has been raining forever, I say go and enjoy the sun!!!

We'll be here when you get back - we never close!! ;)

For your SpywareBlaster question, just go over: here(link)

Enjoy the day!
    LowWaterMark

10. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

I read it another way(i think)!!

Upon downloading the new ie-SPYAD , unzipping and overwriting all(yes to all), I understand one then goes to file named old, and runs the un-install found there. Then one installs the new reg. entries(from the newly downloaded program, not from the "old" file). If u were to then run the newly downloaded uninstall, u would be left with nothing. This could be verified by going to the restricted zone and see whats there before and after each action!!

Man why doesn't sumone write him a exe. program to take care of all this sh, er i mean stuff :mad:

11. LowWaterMark

Good summary libbo1, that is exactly how it works. The uninstall from the \Old\ folder is to remove the previous version of IE-SpyAd's restricted site list, and the one from the main folder is to remove the current (the new one in that latest kit) version - this is just in case you want to totally disable the IE-SpyAd protection.

I agree, it's certainly not an automated process, to be sure, but it's not that bad.

Who knows, maybe he'll team up with Javacool and they'll work out a nice automated utility. :: hint :: :: hint :: :D

12. Skookum Narrows

Evening,

Just wanted to let you know, LowWaterMark, that not only did I get most of the weed whacking done but I do believe I sorted out my IE Spyad file. As libbo 1 points out above, it is a tad confusing especially for a new user. However, that is why these forums exist and I do thank you and all the others very much for your willingness to lend a hand. :D.

Yes, I hear ark construction is underway on the east coast. But, don't start counting the animals yet. Heard the sun has returned to Ontario so maybe it is going to make its way to you!!! :cool:

Now, I think I'll check out the Spyware Blaster site. Take care.

S.N.

13. LowWaterMark

Well, I'm glad you got it resolved. :)

I'll see you on the 5th floor (i.e. the Javacool SpywareBlaster department.) ;)

14. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

The only problem with overwriting the files & then using the 'old' uninstall is that you have to make sure that you're always up to date. If you miss an update, then the 'old' uninstall might miss some entires b/c it was written for the previous/missed update.

15. LowWaterMark

Yes, that is true. However, Eric rarely removes entries from new releases of IE-SpyAd. For the most part he generally just adds new sites to be restricted with each update, so consequently the uninstaller generally just grows, too, always removing (uninstalling) more sites with each new release.

However, there have been a few times when a good site was accidentally added in a release of IE-SpyAd and was later corrected (commented out). If a person hit this just right, installing the version that had wrongly added a good site, and then did not run an uninstaller until several more versions had passed, they would certainly miss the removal (correction) covering that good site.

It is certainly something to consider. Obviously an automated solution (one say that used Add/Remove programs) would always guarantee you'd be removing exactly what was added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.