Question/Issue following a "dynamic to basic disk conversion"

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Aby1, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aby1

Aby1 Registered Member

Hello Mark,
    SORRY GUYS FOR POSTING IN THIS THREAD :'( .I HAD FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FOR DYNAMIC TO BASIC DISK CONVERSION. IT WAS A SUCCESS.BUT, CHKDSK IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RAW DRIVES. DID I LOSE DATA... OR SOMETHING ELSE CAN BE DONE. THANKS IN ADVANCE. EAGERLY WAITING FOR A SOLUTION.*puppy*

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I do not understand why Wilders still has that sticky since you can use free third party software that will covert a dynamic disc to basic. In case of a raw drive, use Minitools Data Recovery, free for home use, to get your data back. Make sure you save the data to a different drive that the one you are getting the data from because if you use the same drive, the data will become corrupt. If this is a system disk you cannot boot from, you will have to put the drive in another computer, use an external USB enclosure, or a USB adapter like this.

How to recover data from RAW hard drive?

3. tentative

tentative Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I have also followed the instructions in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=191006 to convert a disk from dynamic to basic using HxD editor.

I changed the appropriate sector from 42 to 07, but the result was that Win7 was not bootable anymore.

All I can do now is to access a command prompt via a recovery disk, and there I have learned that I cannot run a "chkdsk C: /f" command because my file format has turned to RAW.

It would also seem that the disk has not been changed into basic after all, because the Ubuntu installer cannot run, which was the original motivation for converting the disk from dynamic to basic.

Any help on how to recover Win7 and/or turn the file system back to NTSF would be very appreciated. The method outlined in the previous post does not apply to me because I cannot boot windows.

Many thanks and best regards.

4. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Hmmm...not sure...the few times I had to do this I would image the drives and simply restore them to the same disk...at that time (and this might still be the case), many tools could image a dynamic disk but only restore it as a basic disk. Back then I was using Acronis 9.x. Hope it works out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.