question for wilbertnl regarding antivirus

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hey wil, on my main workstation snapshot i have server 2003 & everything installed, i can basically handle any task i need to accomplish- i have another snapshot of windows xp pro, and im using this snapshot basically for fun-games, downloading, chats, videos etc, and i want this snapshot to be lighter than the other. on server 2003, i use nod32 full protection, agnitum firewall with blockpost, and many other real time apps, and so far on the xp i am using comodo firewall with peer guardian, which is proving to be a lighter combination. what antivirus could you recommend in leiu of nod32 for this xp snapshot? something less resource heavy, maybe i wont run this realtime.

also, i am considering two archives of my important snapshots, 1 that updates each day by schedule, and 1 that i only update manually- do you think this is redundant? thanks in advance for any advice

2. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Why not just PM him? o_O

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello chrome_sturmen,

Since you mention that you want to use the light snapshot for internet activities, I would install security software that runs realtime.
    With low on resources, I assume that you mean the memory footprint as opposed to CPU usage?
    I'm fond of AVG free, I add a picture for you with resource info:

avg.jpg

If you prefer a solution that doesn't run realtime, I suggest free online scanners, like Trendmicro Housecall or Bitdefender free Online Virus Scan.
    Don't worry, the online scanners have the same detection rates as installed software.

Also the free Bitdefender 8 is an option, but that installs a heavier update service.

Two snapshot archives doesn't sound redundant to me, because you are able to restore after a hardware problem from the daily snapshot.
    While on the other hand you would have an archive from right before you install new software. And you might decide to undo that software installation after a week. Or maybe you install new software in a snapshot copy and go from there?
    I think that time will tell how you want to use double archives and if that plan works for you. Since you intent to take the second archive now and then, you need to find a way to remember the purpose of that achive, other than just the date. Otherwise you don't know what you are restoring (after a while).

Hope this helps?

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

thanks for the tips wil, im going with your recommendation and giving avg security suite a trial- so far, it combined with comodo does seem lighter than the nod32/agnitum firewall combo on my other snapshot.

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.