Question for users of 64 bit AV or AM

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by KFBeaker, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Scan Started: C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    Scan Results: Files Scanned: 534

edit: folder contains 534

2. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

No....
    It actually makes perfect sense.

I think you're looking at this from a conceptual point of view (programming.)
    What I am referring to is how Windows actually functions IRL.
    Its a mapping thing...

For a non white paper brief see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

and
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

As an historical trivia aside, when Vista was first released to the general public in 2006 this whole 3GB vs 4GB of RAM caused a massive stink.
    In late 2006 people were building and buying mid high end PCs with 4GB of RAM. At the same time Microsoft made the decision to emblazon the Pc's CPU and RAM quite distinctly when right clicking Computer from the Start Menu.

Tech forums, Microsoft support, and PC makers were swamped with customers confused or ranting as to why they purchased 4GB+ GB of RAM, but Windows was only displaying the PC as having 3GB of RAM (MS was being technically accurate ...but...)

So by Vista SP1, MS actually released a patch which changed nothing in how Vista x86 operated, but displayed the purchased "4 GB" of RAM in the box rather than the technically accurate 3GB .... just to 'calm the public'

3. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Guys, you are scanning a drivers folder on a running Windows. Chances are 99% of those files are in use, and ESET does not count files that it did not scan because they are in use.

Try a CTRL+A in the driver folder and do a scan of those files, you'll see. Also copy an eicar file into that folder..

Attached Files:

4. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

You did not get the point...

Its not a problem to scan that folder but to scan the x64 files/drivers in there!

In use or not, AVs should be able to handle x64 processes and files. Some are not so i think this thread is not bad at all.

And as you see: Some AVs did not care about "in use" or x64 architecture..

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Online Armor++ and EAM (newest betas) have this issue fixed!

6. i_g

i_g Registered Member

OK, but the mentioned (possible) AV compatibility problem has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory available, but rather with the size of virtual address space of every process - so the problem may occur even if you only have 1GB RAM installed on your 64bit machine; some data in 64bit processes might still be far above the 4GB "barrier".

No. Drivers, even when in use, are not locked - not even for writing, so there is certainly no problem with scanning them.

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, I just tried with Kaspersky 2012 and enabled logging of non-critical events and let it scan the drivers and all files were logged, everything was okay, plus it took enough time per file so I think it was really scanning them. Scanning them a second time it finished in 1 second and showed in the logs that the files were recently scanned and unchanged and thus skipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.