Question about Zonealarm 6.0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sosaiso, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I've recently installed and uninstalled and installed ZoneAlarm, [due to trying out new software and seeing what would work for me.] but now, I don't seem to be logging anything on the firewall. I used to average about a hundred or so firewall "intrusions", but now I get 0. It may be caused by the fact that I now have dsl, but I don't think that is quite it. Does anyone know if this is a valid problem, or am I just being paranoid [aka is ZoneAlarm even working anymoreo_O]?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That could come into play if your DSL modem is actually a router :doubt:

3. sosaiso

Nope, just an ordinary dsl modem mailed out by Verizon.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Have you selected spedific logging options under the log tab in Zone Alarm, also if you are behind the modem, does the IP for the modem/connection show under internet zone?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you're seeing absolutely nothing inbound in the ZA logs, then my guess is that it's not just a modem, but some kind of modem/router combo, whether is says so or not. ZA will log a lot by default straight out of the box. You should be seeing something there inbound..

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Does it have a model number and or brand name?

7. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Most modems these days come with NAT(Network Address Translation) which would have blocked most/all of the intrusion for you. Check to see if your modem has NAT capabilities.

8. sosaiso

Ah thank you all for the answers so far. I own a Westell 6100 modem, and I do believe it comes with NAT. So that is from what I can see, the reason that I am not logging anything coming inbound?

But I'm also confused. When I run ipconfig, my ip shows up as 192.168.1.47, but on ZA's Internet zone, it shows up as 192.168.1.0. Should I change this to match, or just leave it alone?

Much thanx for educating this noob. :D

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just leave it alone. ZA knows what it's doing, and unless you have a connection problem then it's probably fine as is...

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Its fine, its ZA's way of putting all the routers potential IP in the net zone, if you want your true IP, either use the router admin page or Watch WAN from http://www.emc3.us/emc3ware

11. sosaiso

Okay, so I am not going to tamper with any ip addresses. Just curious though, should I put that my computer is on a ICS/NAT gateway? or not? or is it the gateway? I looked under advanced and it was slightly confusing.

Also, should I block the NetBios, ICMP, and IGMP ports? I am hesitant to block my TCP/UDP ports because of my torrenting habits, but the rest I am unsure of what they do exactly. Any explanation here is much appreciated. :D

Thanks again all.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are using ICS and you are on LAN as gateway to the other PCs, then you have to check the ICS/LAN tab, otherwise leave it alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.