Question about Yahoo! . com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I was just curious if using Yahoo! services like Messenger, Email, etc are OK. They say they collect personal information, which is fine... I currently subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus and I am extremely happy with it. But because of it saying they collect personal information, what kind of information could they collect before I gave them my billing info. for email service?

And is this how this how they make money? By selling my personal information or? I am just a little curious if anyone may know or have a clue :).

Thanks everyone,

Gracie

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello gracie123

The first place to look when using a service, any service, any software, is the privacy policy.
    It is usually located at the bottom of the web page.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/

3. gracie123

Okay, I will remember that and do that Ronjor :). However, do you think you can really trust what they say? I remember reading that about a spyware I downloaded called "Smiley Central" and I had to reformat my PC because I found out how bad it was and how it destroyed my computer.... when yet they said they don't collect personal info., etc...

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Yahoo mail for years and I have "my" Yahoo as my home page you can really customize it to your hearts content. And I have never had any problem with them getting personal information, at least that I know of.

bigc

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you are unsure, come here before downloading anything. :D Ask questions and check the forums. Given the state of the internet these days, you can't be too safe.
    I use Yahoo's free email service myself and am not concerned.
    Read through the privacy forums from time to time.

6. gracie123

Hi Bigc, thank you for your reply :). I feel safer now using Yahoo! Mail Plus.

And Ronjor, thanks for replying again. I will remember that, I wish I knew about Wilders Security Forums sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.