Question about Yahoo! . com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I was just curious if using Yahoo! services like Messenger, Email, etc are OK. They say they collect personal information, which is fine... I currently subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus and I am extremely happy with it. But because of it saying they collect personal information, what kind of information could they collect before I gave them my billing info. for email service?

And is this how this how they make money? By selling my personal information or? I am just a little curious if anyone may know or have a clue :).

Thanks everyone,

Gracie

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello gracie123

The first place to look when using a service, any service, any software, is the privacy policy.
    It is usually located at the bottom of the web page.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/

3. gracie123

Okay, I will remember that and do that Ronjor :). However, do you think you can really trust what they say? I remember reading that about a spyware I downloaded called "Smiley Central" and I had to reformat my PC because I found out how bad it was and how it destroyed my computer.... when yet they said they don't collect personal info., etc...

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Yahoo mail for years and I have "my" Yahoo as my home page you can really customize it to your hearts content. And I have never had any problem with them getting personal information, at least that I know of.

bigc

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you are unsure, come here before downloading anything. :D Ask questions and check the forums. Given the state of the internet these days, you can't be too safe.
    I use Yahoo's free email service myself and am not concerned.
    Read through the privacy forums from time to time.

6. gracie123

Hi Bigc, thank you for your reply :). I feel safer now using Yahoo! Mail Plus.

And Ronjor, thanks for replying again. I will remember that, I wish I knew about Wilders Security Forums sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.