Question About Trial Edition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by koolsand, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koolsand

koolsand Registered Member

I am giving a try on TI trial edition. It says 15 days fully operational. I created a Boot cd with acronis and tried to create image of hard disk to external firewire harddisk from the boot cd. Aconis detects the firewiere disk properly and when i try to create the image it says this is a trial version you can only simulate. Why is it so?..After reading lots of complaints in this forum i have a doubt in buying this and trying it. so is there anyway acronis provides a way for newbs to get satisfied and get confident about TI before buying the software.

I saw that the TI boot cd uses Linux kernal? does linux kernal supports writing to ntfs file system? i read that writing in linux to NTFS file system is experimental. How safe it is to rely on Acronis on regard of this

Thank You

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“Why is it so?..”
    You can restore from the trial rescue disk, but not create an image.

“i read that writing in linux to NTFS file system is experimental”
    News to me. Where did you see this?

3. koolsand

So in the trial edition i cant create images from the bootcd. right? I have to create the image of windows partition running acronis in the same windows partition? will acronis create the image of system partition while windows and applications are running?I am a newb please clarify...

Ignore the quote about writing to ntfs from linux...i was using linux in 2005 and i read at that time...things have changed now:) never updated myself about linux news in the past 6 months. but however they say writing to ntfs from linux is not safe...check it out
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=37735&pid=171420&st=0&#entry171420

And one more question

I installed Acronis 9 trial in windows vista beta 2 it installed without a problem. but will it run properly? any news about this from acronis?

4. TheWeaz

“So in the trial edition i cant create images from the bootcd. right?”
    AFAIK – I’ve never used the trial version.

“will acronis create the image of system partition while windows and applications are running?”
    Yep.

“but will it run properly?”
    Not from what I remember reading.

5. koolsand

Thanks for the fast reply..i am going to always run acronis from the bootcd for saving and restoring the images from/to external firewiere harddisk. as i saw in the reviews in the net it seems to be this product is a right choice..i am going for it and would like to give a try for that..could anybody suggest a best buy online (downloadable) retailer. i just checked out in newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681279691SF#DetailSpecs
    is this product same as true image home edition 9.0
    and it seems to be that they are a valid reseller.
    any other better places ?

6. TheWeaz

“i am going to always run acronis from the bootcd”
    IMHO, truly a waste of one of TI’s greatest features. You also lose the scheduling ability.

“any other better places ?”
    I just went straight to the source; bought it from Acronis.

7. GhostBeGone

GhostBeGone Registered Member

I just bought from Newegg last week and I am very happy. I saved $20.00. (For some reason the boxed version was $5.00 cheaper than the download version.) I received a mini-box like you see in some stores such as Best Buy. It contains a CD and a folded card that has the registration number on it. There is no printed manual.

I used the registration to download the latest build and skipped using the CD. There seems to be little advantage of having the boxed version (except in this case it was cheaper). Having the CD gives you a good proof of purchase if you later upgrade to a product that requires proof of purchase.

Wayne

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello koolsand,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available, 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only.

Please take a look at the previous post in order to find the information about Windows Vista support.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please find a list of Acronis official resellers at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/retail/

You can also visit Acronis online store to purchase the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. koolsand

Thank you all for the answers...I haven't seen the posts till today since i just bought acronis with regnow and was playing around with that..

1)
    it is able to backup/restore an image of vista partition from bootable cd..it should...no wonder in that...!!!

2)
    but unable to mount the image in acronis...its giving driver not loaded disk.sys error...hope the driver is not supported by vista.

3)
    able to backup files and folders and restore them in vista

haven't tried taking the complete partition from running acronis in vista..if anybody have tried it please post your experience...

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello koolsand,

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions supports Windows Vista. We will implement the support for this operating system as soon as it will be released officially.

Please also note that you will surely be able to backup\clone partition\disk where Windows Vista is installed using Acronis True Image either from within the supported Windows version or in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. using 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager also known as "F11 feature". You will be able to do this even if this disk\partition has some kind of unsupported or corrupted file system (see this previous thread for details). However, we cannot guarantee that the cloned\restored Windows Vista installation will remain bootable\function normally in this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. koolsand

Thank you for letting me know the details. However i have already tried taking the image of vista through windows version and with the bootable media and tried restoring it also. it works perfectly without any problem. I haven't come across any error or corrupted files..Only thing is i am not able to mount the image from vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.