Question about ShadowProtect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I have the same error as SafetyFirst, but only for EU region, other regions work properly.

2. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Hi, bgoodman4, can you tell me where did you download that zip from?

The zip file I downloaded doesn't contain ISO file. I sent an email asking for help but they don't have email support any more. They point me to their forum to seek advice. I asked there but I am ignored.

Can you provide the ISO download link, please?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Only two ways. If you want to evaluate it you have to fill out the form to request it here. Ignore the warning in red.

The other link for downloading won't do you any good if you don't have a valid license.

Pete

4. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I do have a valid license.

Order details:

ShadowProtect Desktop Edition 3.4
    Base Price: $79.95
    1 Year Maintenance ($16.00)

Price with options: $95.95 $95.95 1 $95.95

Maintenance 1 Year - ShadowProtect Desktop ver3 $0.00 1 $0.00

SHIPPING Standard $35.00 1 $35.00

Order Total: $130.95

Shipment#1: Not shipped
    ID Number: xxxxxx
    # Line Items: 3
    Total Value: $130.95
    Total Weight: 0.50 lb

I ordered in August and paid extra 35 dollars for the CD which is still "not shipped".

When I download files from the "Digital goods" in my receipt there is no ISO file there.

Nice, ha?

5. Peter2150

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I do have a question about doing restores (I have not had a chance to read through the support documentation yet, no doubt this is covered there). I was going through the program the other day and when I began the process of restoring I was asked what I wanted to restore. I selected a specific incremental image and then proceeded. There were 3 or 4 options at this point, and I am not sure if its standard practice to select all of them or not. For example I have my data on a D: drive. The options for the restore included the MBR etc (I have SP on my other PC and its not available to me at the moment so I cannot list all the options). In the past when doing a restore (ATI) I just selected a particular image and essentially hit go so I am unclear what the choices indicate. Also, I was surprised to see the MBR listed for a data drive back-up, I thought this would only be part of a system drive restore.

I def need to make time to read through the user docs, probably it would be a good idea to do so before I have a problem and NEED to do an actual restore.

7. bgoodman4

As I recall the ISO download was just below the program download. I have a link to support as http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/web2case/ beyond that I am at a loss as to what to suggest beyond this but I see Peter has offered a solution.

8. STC EU

STC EU Registered Member

Hi SafetyFirst,

I'll bring this out now: I work for StorageCraft Europe.

(I'm hoping I won't get kicked off the forum, I only want to offer help if I can, and not advertise in any way)

The correct link to the *European* Support portal is:
    http://support.storagecraft.eu/incident_create.aspx

StorageCraft Europe decided to put in place the support portal, in favour of support via email, to help more easily and accurately diagnose the problem you are having and get back to you more quickly. It's really not that complicated to use.

Cheers,
    STC EU

9. Peter2150

My case isn't quite the same as I keep all my "data" on my c: drive so it's in the backup. The options I select on restore, are. 1)make partition active 2) Restore MBR 3) Restore MBR from image 4) restore Disk Signature.

Something else I do which is optional, is on the destination page, I right click the volume I am restoring to and delete it (I only have one partition). That makes it clean like a bare metal drive. Then I right click it again and select make the partition from the image at the beginning of the drive. Then I select that drive and restore it.

Important. Be sure to give names to your drives. The drive letters can be messed up in recovery environment, thanks to windows.

Pete

10. STC EU

STC EU Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4,

Yes, it is a good idea to read the user's guide before performing a restore.

You can find a User's Guide here in PDF form : http://www.storagecraft.eu/eu/backup-recovery/products/shadowprotect-desktop.html

Cheers,
    STC EU

11. STC EU

STC EU Registered Member

Hi Again,

This seems odd. If this is indeed the case, I would recommend you call StorageCraft in Utah directly (http://www.storagecraft.com/contact_information.php) and ask them what's going on.

Regards,

STC EU

12. bgoodman4

I have named the drives but its good to know about the drive letters being messed up during a restore.

13. bgoodman4

14. Peter2150

Its not that there messed up during a restore, but they may or may not be different in the recovery environment. True even if you image from there. Just be alert.

On one of my machines c=c and d=d but on the other they reverse in the recovery environment. Just have to watch out for the names of the drives.

15. bgoodman4

Got it, thanks again.

16. Peter2150

As an aside, this isn't a Storage Craft issue, but a windows issue. I get the same thing with a Bart Pe disk, or any other recovery environment disk.

17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Actually, it is possible to restore images fully from within windows. I did two last night, for example; one to the same disk and another to a different disk. As long as the image is on a different partition, the restore from within Windows is possible to the same disk.

Pricey, but well worth it imo.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Pete,
    Is it really necessary to select these options? I've never bothered, and always got perfect restores, any particular reasons?

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is good to know, I've always presumed (see attachment) it was only possible through the recovery CD (I do not keep images on the same disk). When you say to a different disk, it means as a second drive on the same computer. I must admit I should read the help file once and for all.

Attached Files:

20. bgoodman4

That last one does make it sound like you need the recovery media to do a restore. I wonder why they would say this if its not the case.

21. Peter2150

You cannot restore an image to the system disk if the system is running, yes to another disk, but not to the system disk.

So if your system is on c: and your image is on d: You cannot restore c: while in Windows. You need to do it from the recovery environment.

22. Peter2150

Some of them may be on by default. I just do it manually out of habit. Obviously you want disk active, and I restore the MBR from the image as that's what I'd be doing if the disk was blank. Got in the habit of that when FDISR was in the MBR.

Disk signature probably isn't necessary, but doesn't hurt so I do it.

Same thing I always delete the volume and recreate it. Again not really necessary, but I got in the habit from when I was testing, and messing with stuff.

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry, I stand corrected :oops: It was Acronis that will do it. I have licenses for both imaging programs and tried them both several times over for comparison. I like the results and the restore/backup speed better in SP. With Acronis I don't like the way it restores the MBR; very unreliable and then I have to dig out my Windows disk to repair it :mad: Backing up to the same disk is obviously not the best practice, either, At the time it was a case of "desperate needs call for desperate measures". It's better now that I have an additional h/drive :)

24. Peter2150

Okay. The reason Acronis can do the restore to the same disk is their magic area. I am not comfortable with that concept.

Pete

25. bgoodman4

I too have used ATI and just sort of thought that that was typical but clearly its not.

I really do need to print out the users guide and give it a good read although I have noticed that as I age I tend to put things off until they become urgent. Def not the best policy but there is so much competing for immediate attention.

Just out of curiosity is there any reason for a MBR restore to be available if you are just restoring a data drive? I don't think so. I am wondering why its even an option if there is no MBR on the drive to restore. Same question with the other available options, are any of them critical/important in this case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.