Question about my setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wildsrv, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildsrv

wildsrv Registered Member

Hello every one. I'm new to the forums and from what I have read there is a lot of information I have to catch up on. My home setup is lacking in the security area and I'm looking for the best programs to use to secure my whole network. Currently I have 5 computers all behind a linksys wireless router/firewall. I have various AV programs on each computer but here is what I was looking to do. I have one desktop computer that I don't use all that much and was looking to make it a server. Install a proxy server on it and have it do the majority of scans as the traffic is being passed in to my network. So it would be my cable modem> server> router> and other end user computers/laptops. My goal is to have the "server" computer not only be a form of a print server (just sharing out the printer I have for the house) but to have it be the computer that would either block any thing bad thats coming in or that it would actually be the computer that would get inffected rather then one of my end user computers.

My operating systems all are windows but range from win xp 32 bit, vista 32, and vista 64 bit. I have some expereance in some of the corporate programs for scanning (retina, and hercules) but that is way out side my budget. :blink:

I'm hoping for free software but if there is going to be that much improvement I might break down and purchase the alternative. I did mess around with a proxy server some time ago and the biggest issue I had was the delay in it. I'm hoping for a proxy,firewall/av/malware "server" that isn't going to have much impact on the end users checking there home page if you know what I mean. I do play games as well but I'm sure I'll be able to set up the ports with out much issue. Thanks and I hope I provided enough information.

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

There is this app called appranger, I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Also I havent used it and havent read any reviews, so I don't know how good or bad it is, but maybe it's worth it.

BTW, welcome to wilders!

You should only have ONE AV on each computer, otherwise they can conflict with each other.

3. wildsrv

I misspoke i dont have more then one av on a single computer just a different program on each. I'll check that prog out thanks.

4. wildsrv

I've also found this program called tor do you think that might help me in my quest?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what OS are you going to be using for your server?
    so you want all traffic to pass through your server and be scanned by an av on that computer?
    wired or wireless?
    or a combo?
    you said all behind a wireless router so im assusming all wireless but i wanted to check.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. wildsrv

the server will be wired. I'm looking at win server 2k right now. only my laptops will be connecting via wireless.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you getting AppRanger, they have a new version,i got it today it is 1.9
    it is very strong to lock system down.

8. wildsrv

I havent really heard of appRanger. Ill have to check in to that. Thanks

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.