Question about modem log entry

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Anyone know enough about how dialup works to answer this? I keep getting diconnected so I checked my modem log. The entry for the disconnect event says: "CD dropped--Remote modem hung up." Everything before that seems fine. There's no indication of any errors, it just suddenly drops. I've disabled v90, v92, and lowered my connection speed, that usually that takes care of it but it still disconnects at least once per session. I called my ISP and asked them about the log entry and they said it was my modem hanging up. I asked why it says "remote modem" if it's my modem and he said he didn't know but he was 100% sure it's not them.

My question is, does it sound like I'm getting the runaround? I've never heard of an instance where a local modem would be referred to as "remote," but I'm not a dialup expert.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Appreciate the links Cudni. I already read that first one but the second one was pretty helpful.

It sounds like something in the phone line is causing my modem to lose contact with the carrier. It says "remote modem hung up" cause that's the best answer it knows. But my ISP said "remote modem" meant my modem and I know that can't be right. I doubt it's a problem either with me or my ISP, but the phone line. Probably easier to just put up with it. From my experience diagnosing phone line issues is a losing battle. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.